Hi, I've search this term on google and didn't get the result that im
looking for.

given a date and a locale, some times the date in '%d/%m'%Y' but sometimes
it '%m/%d/%Y' according to the locale.

how to parse this date ?

Ahmy Yulrizka

  • Colin Law at Apr 20, 2012 at 6:57 am

    On 20 April 2012 03:51, Ahmy Yulrizka wrote:
    Hi, I've search this term on google and didn't get the result that im
    looking for.

    given a date and a locale, some times the date in '%d/%m'%Y' but sometimes
    it '%m/%d/%Y' according to the locale.
    I think the best solution is not to allow free format of date but to
    provide separate fields for each part. datetime_select can do this
    for you automatically.

    If you really need to do it however, then provided you know what the
    format is then use strptime to parse it.

    Colin

  • Ahmy Yulrizka at Apr 20, 2012 at 7:15 am
    Thanks for your reply colin

    but the thing is, i dont control the format. Im trying to parse brithday
    given by facebook. it give both of information the locale like 'en_US' and
    then the birthday like '10/21/1980' and it's differ according the facebook
    user's setting.

    if this is not built in in ruby/rails, is there any gem for this ?

    Ahmy Yulrizka