Hi I'm a new programmer and not familiar with Ruby on Rails. My first
project is to convert a software written in RoR into a .net framework.
Is it possible to convert/migrate the software into Visual Studio like
Visual Basic? Please help.

  • Robert Walker at Apr 20, 2012 at 6:08 pm

    Scott L. wrote in post #1057597:
    Hi I'm a new programmer and not familiar with Ruby on Rails. My first
    project is to convert a software written in RoR into a .net framework.
    Is it possible to convert/migrate the software into Visual Studio like
    Visual Basic? Please help.
    Extremely doubtful. There may be some small parts that can be reused,
    with some tweaking, like bits of HTML, CSS and possibly some JavaScript.
    Other than that you're probably looking at a complete rewrite.

  • Walter Lee Davis at Apr 20, 2012 at 6:38 pm

    Hi I'm a new programmer and not familiar with Ruby on Rails. My first
    project is to convert a software written in RoR into a .net framework.
    Is it possible to convert/migrate the software into Visual Studio like
    Visual Basic? Please help.
    Extremely doubtful. There may be some small parts that can be reused,
    with some tweaking, like bits of HTML, CSS and possibly some JavaScript.
    Other than that you're probably looking at a complete rewrite.
    More to the point, if you're looking at Ruby code for the first time, and that's the only documentation of the system that exists, you're going to need at least a journeyman's-level understanding of Ruby in order to decipher what the code is supposed to do, so you can then rewrite it from scratch in VB.

    Walter
  • Scott L. at Apr 20, 2012 at 8:38 pm
    That's what I thought. I know it'll be a challenge specially to a young
    programmer like me.
    Any suggestion on how will it work on IronRuby?

  • Greg Akins at Apr 20, 2012 at 8:46 pm