I'm building a small Rails app that will be hosted somewhere online when
it is finished. It will be a private app for a small non-profit
organization with about 10 users and it will have about 3 main tables
and a few lookup small tables. I think I'll be using Heroku to host the
app. Even thinking in the largest scale possible, the numbers of rows in
the main table will never exceed 1,000 rows, and the smaller lookup
tables will only have about 20 rows each.

So, I'm wondering if it is a feasible choice to simply go with a SQLite
database in production for a small app like this? I just can't see the
need for the any of the (slightly) extra configuration that a MySql or
Postgres database would require.

  • Hassan Schroeder at Apr 11, 2012 at 1:57 pm

    I think I'll be using Heroku to host the app.
    So, I'm wondering if it is a feasible choice to simply go with a SQLite
    database in production for a small app like this?
    With Heroku, you get Postgres by default. And since there's no file
    system, you couldn't run SQLite anyway AFAIK.
    I just can't see the need for the any of the (slightly) extra configuration
    that a MySql or Postgres database would require.
    Add this line to your Gemfile:

    gem 'pg'

    Done :-)

    http://about.me/hassanschroeder
    twitter: @hassan

  • Norm Scherer at Apr 11, 2012 at 3:36 pm

    I'm building a small Rails app that will be hosted somewhere online when
    it is finished. It will be a private app for a small non-profit
    organization with about 10 users and it will have about 3 main tables
    and a few lookup small tables. I think I'll be using Heroku to host the
    app. Even thinking in the largest scale possible, the numbers of rows in
    the main table will never exceed 1,000 rows, and the smaller lookup
    tables will only have about 20 rows each.

    So, I'm wondering if it is a feasible choice to simply go with a SQLite
    database in production for a small app like this? I just can't see the
    need for the any of the (slightly) extra configuration that a MySql or
    Postgres database would require.
    If sqlite were available to you (Hassan indicates it is not) I think it
    would be a reasonable choice for a limited system. Some applications
    will never get large and require more complex and flexible database systems.