As a relative noob I have a fairly basic question.

The following scenario is entirely fictional.

Lets say I have a RoR website called www.MyWebSite.com .

Occasionally a client of www.MyWebSite.com submits a URI that requests that a very intense computation get done.

I have another website called www.MyQuantumSupercomputerWebsite.com . It is able to do the computation very very quickly .. less than 1/10 of a second so there is no reason to do an asynchronous request.

So I want to pass along the request that came to www.MyWebSite.com to www.MyQuantumSupercomputerWebsite.com (but, perhaps, massaging the request a little bit). I then want to wait for the response and pass the
response (perhaps a bit massaged by the RoR code at www.MyWebSite.com) back to www.MyWebSite.com 's client.

Question: How would the RoR code on www.MyWebSite.com request this info from www.MyQuantumSupercomputerWebsite.com while processing the request from the client and do it all synchronously? That is,
what RoR functionality would I use to make all this happen?

Ralph Shnelvar

  • Hassan Schroeder at Apr 10, 2012 at 4:09 am

    what RoR functionality would I use to make all this happen?
    Not Rails, Ruby: http://www.ruby-doc.org/stdlib-1.9.3/libdoc/net/http/rdoc/

    HTH,
    http://about.me/hassanschroeder
    twitter: @hassan