I have a controller (employee) with it's model and view. Now I need to
write another controller (emp) which would not have any model or view.
This emp controller should be able to invoke all the methods of
employee controller.And eventually be able to represent all the
relevant information.

I have also a dependent controller of 'employee' which is 'account' .
I have set up routes as per that.
# in routes.rb
resources :employees do
resources :accounts
end

and, resources :emp, :as =>"employees" do
resources :acc , :as=>"accounts"
end
POST on /emp/ would be as good as a POST on /employees/
or GET on /emp/1/edit should work as GET on /employees/1/edit
or GET on /emp/1/acc should be equivalent to GET on /employees/1/
accounts

I was thinking how to write the emp controller.Please help.

  • Colin Law at Apr 2, 2012 at 12:21 pm

    I have a controller (employee) with it's model and view. Now I need to
    write another controller (emp) which would not have any model or view.
    This emp controller should be able to invoke all the methods of
    employee controller.And eventually be able to represent all the
    relevant information.
    Why have you posted this again rather than continuing the previous
    thread that you started?
    You cannot call one controllers methods from another (or at least you
    should not). Either extract the common code to a library or don't use
    a separate controller. To use the existing controller add parameters
    to the existing actions if required or add new methods, then if the
    URL is important to you use routing to provide the URLs you require.

    Colin

  • Jeffrey L. Taylor at Apr 2, 2012 at 4:12 pm

    Quoting Pallav_bfs <spallav88@gmail.com>:
[...]

    You've said what is the same between emp and employee. So what is different
    between emp and employee? In general, you cannot call the instance methods of
    one class for another class, only class methods. Depending on what you are
    trying to do, emp can inherit from employee or there is only the employee
    controller and routes map the emp requests onto the employer controller.

    HTH,
    Jeffrey