This does not make any sense to me:

I have a model called TypeWell along with it controller and forms. If I
attach a jQuery event Handler using old fashioned Javascript code to its
form partial like shown below:

:javascript

$(document).ready(function() {
$("#type_well_gas_type").change(function() {
alert("Gas type changed");
});
});

It alerts the message once (correctly) as shown when I change the
gas_type drop-down. If however, I move this code from the form partial
(app/views/type_wells/_form.haml.html to the corresponding coffeescript
file
app/assets/javascripts/type_wells.js.coffee (of course delete it from
the form partical) as shown below:

$(document).ready ->
$("#type_well_gas_type").change ->
alert "gas type changed"

then it triggers twice instead of once as expected?

This is as basic as it gets. Is there something that I do not
understand about asset pipeline that is causing this behavior?

Please explain.

Thanks.

Bharat

  • Bharat Ruparel at Apr 1, 2012 at 10:21 pm
    OK. I have figure this out and am posting the solution here so that
    someone who runs into this problem can benefit from this knowledge.

    At some point in time, I have pre-compiled the coffeescript files to
    javascript in my assets/javascripts folder and therefore there were
    corresponding javascript files along with the coffeescript files in my
    development environment. Asset pipeline was executing both instead of
    either!

    So the moral of the exercise is that if you are using coffeescript, be
    sure to delete corresponding javascript files from the
    assets/javascripts folder. As soon as I deleted
    app/assets/javascripts/type_wells.js.js file, everything worked as
    expected

    Bharat