I'm making use of PostgreSQL if this changes anything.

Actually any information dealing with database failure recovery would
come in handy.

  • Allan Wind at Mar 26, 2012 at 1:25 am

    On 2012-03-26 03:11:02, Stuart J. wrote:
    Actually any information dealing with database failure recovery would
    come in handy.
    Are you familiar with this resource? One of the first things
    that show up when you search for postgresql high available:
    <http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/high-availability.html>

    Another resource you probably want to check out out Pacemaker:
    <http://www.clusterlabs.org/>

    /Allan
    --
    Allan Wind
    Life Integrity, LLC

  • Simon Riggs at Mar 26, 2012 at 8:18 am

    Actually any information dealing with database failure recovery would
    come in  handy.
    Are you familiar with this resource?  One of the first things
    that show up when you search for postgresql high available:
    <http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/high-availability.html>
    That's nearly 5 years old and so misses all the cool new replication features.

    Latest production
    http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/static/high-availability.html

    Latest development
    http://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/static/high-availability.html

    Another resource you probably want to check out out Pacemaker:
    <http://www.clusterlabs.org/>
    And also http://www.repmgr.org/

  • Stuart J. at Mar 26, 2012 at 2:12 am
    Thanks those are both useful. I've seen the PostgreSQL docs page on
    scaling but as far as I can tell it deals with scaling from the
    databases end.

    I'm more concerned with scaling rails access to the database. I've had a
    look at Octopus https://github.com/tchandy/octopus as a potential
    solution. But Octopus relies on a static configuration file to detail
    all the available instances. This kind of precludes any form of failure
    recovery strategy that doesn't involve shutting down each rails instance
    and changing that file.

    My dream method would be to on database failure, have each rails
    instance automatically pull the next databases url from somewhere and
    change their targeted db on the fly.