Hi guys.

I have an app where visitors can see offers in their cities. So a visitor
must select his city first in order to access the app (much like Groupon,
using just a cookie though).

How should I approach this? I mean,right now what I'm doing is I have the
action for the homepage (which lists all offers) and a before_filter
applied to it, which redirects the user if no cookie is found. Is this the
right way though?

  • Philip Hallstrom at Mar 19, 2012 at 4:13 pm

    I have an app where visitors can see offers in their cities. So a visitor must select his city first in order to access the app (much like Groupon, using just a cookie though).

    How should I approach this? I mean,right now what I'm doing is I have the action for the homepage (which lists all offers) and a before_filter applied to it, which redirects the user if no cookie is found. Is this the right way though?
    It would work, but you might look at Maxmind's geoip lite city database... if no cookie is found, look them up and try to get close. Much nicer experience to say guess their city with a little link to let them change it if you guessed wrong...

    http://www.maxmind.com/app/geolitecity

    -philip

  • Colin Law at Mar 19, 2012 at 4:31 pm

    I have an app where visitors can see offers in their cities. So a visitor
    must select his city first in order to access the app (much like Groupon,
    using just a cookie though).

    How should I approach this? I mean,right now what I'm doing is I have the
    action for the homepage (which lists all offers) and a before_filter applied
    to it, which redirects the user if no cookie is found. Is this the right way
    though?
    I would do it using the session rather than a cookie (though the same
    thing underneath of course, but more railsey).

    Colin

  • Agis A. at Mar 19, 2012 at 5:41 pm

    I have an app where visitors can see offers in their cities. So a visitor
    must select his city first in order to access the app (much like Groupon,
    using just a cookie though).

    How should I approach this? I mean,right now what I'm doing is I have the
    action for the homepage (which lists all offers) and a before_filter applied
    to it, which redirects the user if no cookie is found. Is this the right way
    though?
    I would do it using the session rather than a cookie (though the same
    thing underneath of course, but more railsey).

    Colin
    I'm using the cookie rather than session since a user that will set his
    city for the first time, is unlikely to "change a city". So I suppose that
    the visitor will always be interested in his City's offers (well at least
    until the cookie expires), that's why I wanted to persist this information.
    That way, since I don't have any authentication system, the site always
    remembers the device's location so the user doesn't have to choose the city
    everytime he closes the browser.

    What do you think about that?

  • Pravin Mishra at Mar 19, 2012 at 5:56 pm
    I think, we can also use http://geokit.rubyforge.org/api/geokit-rails/
    (Geokit Plugin: Geocoder, Distance Finders, and more) to get visitor
    ip, city and country.