Hi every:
I'm starting to learn Ruby and RoR and have some problems getting things
work. I have a CentOS 6 dev server in which I follow this guide (sorry
for the spanish)
http://articles.slicehost.com/2009/4/7/centos-ruby-on-rails to install
Ruby and RoR. So I get installed gems 1.3.1 but if I run gem update and
gem update --system then I go back to gems 1.8.17 and then rails said me
that RubyGems 1.3.5> is needed to install. See the commands execute by
me below and the results of each:

[root@devserver rubygems-1.3.1]# gem install rails
ERROR: Error installing rails:
i18n requires RubyGems version >= 1.3.5

[root@devserver rubygems-1.3.1]# gem update
Updating installed gems
Nothing to update
[root@devserver rubygems-1.3.1]# gem update --system
Updating RubyGems
Updating rubygems-update
Successfully installed rubygems-update-1.8.17
:0:Warning: Gem::SourceIndex#search support for String patterns is
deprecated
Updating RubyGems to 1.8.17
Installing RubyGems 1.8.17
RubyGems 1.8.17 installed

Any help on this? Regards and thanks in advance
--
Ing. Reynier Perez Mira
eMail: reynierpm@gmail.com, reynierpm@hotmail.com

  • Colin Law at Mar 1, 2012 at 1:33 pm

    I'm starting to learn Ruby and RoR and have some problems getting things
    work. I have a CentOS 6 dev server in which I follow this guide (sorry for
    the spanish) http://articles.slicehost.com/2009/4/7/centos-ruby-on-rails to
    install Ruby and RoR. So I get installed gems 1.3.1 but if I run gem update
    and gem update --system then I go back to gems 1.8.17 and then rails said me
    that RubyGems 1.3.5> is needed to install. See the commands execute by me
    below and the results of each:
    I think you might be better finding a more up to date guide for
    installing rails. In particular most people would recommend using rvm
    with ruby and rails, assuming rvm can be used with CentOS.

    Colin
[...]

    gplus.to/clanlaw

  • ReynierPM at Mar 1, 2012 at 1:39 pm
    Thanks Colin, I found a article where the author use RVM in CentOS 6 and
    now I have latest GEM, Ruby and RoR thanks to RVM.
    Regards