Hi, I'm brand new to rails, and I have a mac 10.7 that I bought
today. I try the following:

joelrwesley$ sudo gem install rails
Password:
ERROR: Error installing rails:

/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/bin/
ruby extconf.rb
mkmf.rb can't find header files for ruby at /System/Library/Frameworks/
Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/ruby.h

Gem files will remain installed in /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/
json-1.6.5 for inspection.
Results logged to /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/json-1.6.5/ext/json/ext/
parser/gem_make.out
joelrwesley$

Anybody have any ideas? Thanks, Joel

  • Frederick Cheung at Feb 26, 2012 at 6:06 am

    Hi, I'm brand new to rails, and I have a mac 10.7 that I bought
    today.  I try the following:

    joelrwesley$ sudo gem install rails
    Password:
    Building native extensions.  This could take a while...
    ERROR:  Error installing rails:
    Have you installed Xcode (or at the very least apple's gve command
    line tools package)?
    You'll need that when installing gems with native extensions.

    Fred

    /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/bin/
    ruby extconf.rb
    mkmf.rb can't find header files for ruby at /System/Library/Frameworks/
    Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/ruby.h

    Gem files will remain installed in /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/
    json-1.6.5 for inspection.
    Results logged to /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/json-1.6.5/ext/json/ext/
    parser/gem_make.out
    joelrwesley$

    Anybody have any ideas?  Thanks, Joel
  • Joel at Feb 26, 2012 at 3:19 pm
    Thanks Fred. I downloaded the latest Xcode last night, turned the
    computer off for the night, and tried it again this morning. No go;
    same message. I'm also supposed to be able to write gcc -v to test
    the compiler from Xcode, but I'm getting an error on that also. I
    tried going into Xcode and starting a project, and it seems to be
    working. Xcode is now being distributed at the App store, instead of
    off of the disk. I wonder if that has something to do with it? I'm
    thinking of maybe trying to put it on my hard drive from the disk for
    the old Leopard from my old machine.

    As for Apple's gve command line tools, package, I don't know what that
    is.

[...]

  • Valery Kvon at Feb 26, 2012 at 3:42 pm

    Thanks Fred. I downloaded the latest Xcode last night, turned the
    computer off for the night, and tried it again this morning. No go;
    same message. I'm also supposed to be able to write gcc -v to test
    the compiler from Xcode, but I'm getting an error on that also. I
    tried going into Xcode and starting a project, and it seems to be
    working. Xcode is now being distributed at the App store, instead of
    off of the disk. I wonder if that has something to do with it? I'm
    thinking of maybe trying to put it on my hard drive from the disk for
    the old Leopard from my old machine.

    As for Apple's gve command line tools, package, I don't know what that
    is.

    :) native mac os' ruby 1.8 - too old to waste your time if you want to practice in Rails.

    Anyway this is your issue …. http://stackoverflow.com/questions/761521/when-i-try-sudo-gem-install-json-i-get-the-following-error

    But today the only way to escape that insane stuff -- to use rvm.

    It's pretty simple:
    1) Install latest Xcode
    2) Install rvm: http://beginrescueend.com/
    3) Install rubies you want to.
    4) Update gem --system
    5) Install Rails version you want.

    Just easy and safe.

  • Joel at Feb 26, 2012 at 6:27 pm
    Thank you for the advice, Valery. I tried that, and (I believe)
    followed the instructions at the rvm page. I say I *believe*, because
    these instructions always seem to lead to a number of things that one
    might reasonably try, though there's no clear notion of what one
    really should be doing.... argh. anyway, I got to the last
    instruction, which is to type rvm install 1.9.3, and I got the
    following:

    joelrwesley$ rvm install 1.9.3
    Fetching yaml-0.1.4.tar.gz to /Users/joelrwesley/.rvm/archives
    Extracting yaml-0.1.4.tar.gz to /Users/joelrwesley/.rvm/src
    Configuring yaml in /Users/joelrwesley/.rvm/src/yaml-0.1.4.
    Compiling yaml in /Users/joelrwesley/.rvm/src/yaml-0.1.4.
    Installing yaml to /Users/joelrwesley/.rvm/usr
    Installing Ruby from source to: /Users/joelrwesley/.rvm/rubies/
    ruby-1.9.3-p125, this may take a while depending on your cpu(s)...

    ruby-1.9.3-p125 - #fetching
    ruby-1.9.3-p125 - #extracted to /Users/joelrwesley/.rvm/src/ruby-1.9.3-
    p125 (already extracted)
    ruby-1.9.3-p125 - #configuring
    Error running ' ./configure --prefix=/Users/joelrwesley/.rvm/rubies/
    ruby-1.9.3-p125 --enable-shared --disable-install-doc --with-libyaml --
    with-opt-dir=/Users/joelrwesley/.rvm/usr ', please read /Users/
    joelrwesley/.rvm/log/ruby-1.9.3-p125/configure.log
    There has been an error while running configure. Halting the
    installation.
    joelrwesley$

    So I went in and read the log. Here's what it said:

    joelrwesley$ emacs configure.log

    [2012-02-26 11:39:47] ./configure --prefix=/Users/joelrwesley/.rvm/
    rubies/ruby-1.9.3-p125 --enable-shared --disable-install-doc --with-
    libyaml --with-opt-dir=/Users/j\
    oelrwesley/.rvm/usr
    configure: WARNING: unrecognized options: --with-libyaml
    checking build system type... i386-apple-darwin11.3.0
    checking host system type... i386-apple-darwin11.3.0
    checking target system type... i386-apple-darwin11.3.0
    checking whether the C compiler works... no
    configure: error: in `/Users/joelrwesley/.rvm/src/ruby-1.9.3-p125':
    See `config.log' for more details

    So apparently my C compiler doesn't work. Argh!

    Thanks for any sympathy and advice,
    Joel

  • Joel at Feb 27, 2012 at 2:16 am
    If anyone has been following this and has the same problem, the
    following tutorial was fantastic, and it fixed my problem:
    http://code.google.com/p/git-osx-installer/downloads/detail?name=git-1.7.9.1-intel-universal-snow-leopard.dmg&can=3&q=

  • Joel at Feb 27, 2012 at 2:17 am
    whoops, wrong site: try this:
    http://pragmaticstudio.com/rails