Hi,

I have a question about how best to handle "ongoing" and "incremental"
seeding of a database, after the application is built.

Summary of Application: I need to build a multiple choice testing
application where, in short, each Question has four Answer Choices. A
"User Specific Test" will consist of 200 randomly selected Questions
from a Catalog that contains thousands of Questions. There are other
constructs that handle things like Test Results, etc. Rails seems to
handle the model pretty well.

Summary of the Issue: The requirement is that as new Questions and
their correlating Answer Options get created, about 100 per month, they
need to be loaded in bulk into the database, through an automated means.
The key is not to disrupt anything that already exists in the database
and automatically make the new Questions discoverable via the Catalog.

Is there a clean way to handle this with Rails? I've been skimming
through things like Fixtures but don't know enough about them to
understand whether they'd help.

Thanks, in advance, for any help you can offer.

Frank

  • Colin Law at Feb 24, 2012 at 8:51 am

[...]

    I use a script in db/seeds.rb to accomplish a similar task. I have a
    cron job that prepares the data and then runs rake db:seed to update
    the db from the source data. In fact all that seeds.rb does is call
    model methods to do the import.

    Colin
    Thanks, in advance, for any help you can offer.

    Frank

    gplus.to/clanlaw

  • 3dd13 at Feb 24, 2012 at 8:54 am
    one option:
    - build rake task to import data
    - and use schedular or background job to run it regularly

    On Feb 24, 2012 8:18 AM, "Frank Guerino" wrote:a