realized that I simply to don't know enough Ruby, to truly build what
I'm trying to build.

I need help with two things:

#1 - Can you all recommend your Top 3 "must have" books that will help
me become more proficient with in the actual language of ruby and ruby
recipes. Suggestions on books that aid in exploring Active Record in
depth would also be humbly appreciated.

#2 - As mentioned, I'm building a little store. I'm trying to allow
users to select a unique size for the t-shirt. I'm using version 3.2.1

I've created a model called product_variation and tried to use the
new 'store' -- i.e., ActiveRecord::Base.store for declaring simple
single-column key/value stores (which I think is new in 3.2.1)
THEN I even an entire whole scaffold, called product_instance - to
sit between product & line_item to attempt to create a "special
instance of the product" (i.e., category -> product ->
product_instance -> line_item -> cart -> order).

No luck in making the actual connection. I know this has EVERYTHING to
do with me being new to the language, but If could get a little
guidance on how to resolve this it would be extremely appreciated.

GIT HUB: Here is my git hub link https://github.com/kisha/seedtp_alpha2
(the tag for the sizes is there but the logic behind it is blowing up)
HEROKU: Here is yesterday's version of the site on heroku (made a
few adjustments but just so that you have a visual) http://stproject.herokuapp.com

Again, Thanks in advance for the help

Sincere Regards,
Kisha

  • Alexpls at Feb 24, 2012 at 9:31 am
    Hi Kisha,

    I'm new to Rails too so my answer my not be perfect, but here's a try
    anyway...

    I think you're overcomplicated the Product model with
    product_instance. To allow each Product to have different size options
    I would look into storing serialized data in your "products" table in
    a column called something like "variations". For more info on
    serializing data and storing it in the DB have a read of
    http://api.rubyonrails.org/classes/ActiveRecord/Base.html#label-Saving+arrays%2C+hashes%2C+and+other+non-mappable+objects+in+text+columns
    - hopefully that'll help!

    Good luck,
    Alex
    I'm completely new to ruby. I'm building my 1st little app to aid the
    learning process (nothing like learning by doing) and to support
    others who want to raise a little seed money to fund traction efforts
    without equity or debt strings attached  I'm plugging away trying to
    learn the basics of Rails for the last couple of weeks and have

    #1 - Can you all recommend your Top 3 "must have" books that will help

    #2 - As mentioned, I'm building a little store. I'm trying to allow
[...]

  • Colin Law at Feb 24, 2012 at 9:41 am