If I manually drop the database, and run create, then migrate it works fine.

But doing a:

rake db:reset

it fails with:

unknown attribute: user_status

Does this mean my migrations are not dropping things correctly?

  • Colin Law at Feb 18, 2012 at 5:05 pm

    On 18 February 2012 16:42, S Ahmed wrote:
    If I manually drop the database, and run create, then migrate it works fine.

    But doing a:

    rake db:reset

    it fails with:

    unknown attribute:  user_status

    Does this mean my migrations are not dropping things correctly?
    I believe that rake db:reset re-creates the db and loads the schema
    from schema.rb rather than running the migrations [1]. Is there
    something odd in schema.rb, possibly related to user_status?

    [1] http://guides.rubyonrails.org/migrations.html#resetting-the-database

    Colin

  • Robert Walker at Feb 18, 2012 at 9:51 pm

    Colin Law wrote in post #1047551:
    Does this mean my migrations are not dropping things correctly?
    I believe that rake db:reset re-creates the db and loads the schema
    from schema.rb rather than running the migrations [1]. Is there
    something odd in schema.rb, possibly related to user_status?

    [1] http://guides.rubyonrails.org/migrations.html#resetting-the-database
    You might also try:

    rake db:migrate:reset

    As I understand it that will actually drop the database and recreate it
    by running all your migration. This should then also recreate your
    schema.rb file.

  • S Ahmed at Feb 19, 2012 at 1:43 am
    It would be nice if there was a way to mirror things to RAILS_ENV=test also.
    I hate having to do it for both.
    Does this mean my migrations are not dropping things correctly?
    I believe that rake db:reset re-creates the db and loads the schema
    from schema.rb rather than running the migrations [1]. Is there
    something odd in schema.rb, possibly related to user_status?

    [1] http://guides.rubyonrails.org/migrations.html#resetting-the-database
    You might also try:

    rake db:migrate:reset

    As I understand it that will actually drop the database and recreate it
    by running all your migration. This should then also recreate your
    schema.rb file.

  • Peter Vandenabeele at Feb 19, 2012 at 1:06 pm

    If I manually drop the database, and run create, then migrate it works
    fine.

    But doing a:

    rake db:reset

    it fails with:

    unknown attribute: user_status

    Does this mean my migrations are not dropping things correctly?
    First thing to do seems to check with --trace.

    $ rake --trace db:reset

    and study the order of execution of rake tasks in detail until the
    point where it fails ...

    HTH,

    Peter

    --
    *** Available for a new project ***

    Peter Vandenabeele
    http://twitter.com/peter_v
    http://rails.vandenabeele.com
    http://coderwall.com/peter_v

  • Dheeraj Kumar at Feb 19, 2012 at 3:02 pm
    Why doesn't rake -T show db:reset? Where can I find a list of these hidden
    rake commands?
    If I manually drop the database, and run create, then migrate it works
    fine.

    But doing a:

    rake db:reset

    it fails with:

    unknown attribute: user_status

    Does this mean my migrations are not dropping things correctly?
    First thing to do seems to check with --trace.

    $ rake --trace db:reset

    and study the order of execution of rake tasks in detail until the
    point where it fails ...

    HTH,

    Peter

    --
    *** Available for a new project ***

    Peter Vandenabeele
    http://twitter.com/peter_v
    http://rails.vandenabeele.com
    http://coderwall.com/peter_v

  • Peter Vandenabeele at Feb 19, 2012 at 4:31 pm