I had a working Rails setup using RVM on Ubuntu 11.10 with /home on a
separate partition. I installed Ubuntu 12.04 (Alpha) on the root
partition, leaving the home partition unchanged. I now find that some
things don't work, I think due to the fact that the system has been
updated and versions of libraries have changed. For example I get:

$ rails c
/home/colinl/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.8.7-p302/gems/mysql2-0.3.10/lib/mysql2/mysql2.so:
libmysqlclient_r.so.16: cannot open shared object file: No such file
or directory - /home/colinl/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.8.7-p302/gems/mysql2-0.3.10/lib/mysql2/mysql2.so
(LoadError)

I uninstalled gem mysql2 then did bundle install, which re-installed
mysql2 (the same version) with its native extensions and this fixed
the problem. I think (but may be corrected) that I need to re-install
any gems that have native extensions in each of my projects. As I
don't know which have native extensions what I would like to do is
just to remove them all and then run bundle install to reinstall them.
I can't find a method of uninstalling them however. Any suggestions?

Colin

  • Peter Vandenabeele at Feb 6, 2012 at 9:31 pm

[...]

    Hi Colin,

    If I understand your request correctly, you are asking for
    `rvm gemset empty <gemset name>` ? Or did I misunderstand?

    Below I show a log of `bundle install`, `rvm gemset empty` and `bundle
    install`

    HTH,

    Peter

    =====================

    peterv@ASUS:~/b/github/petervandenabeele$ cd shoes/

    peterv@ASUS:~/b/github/petervandenabeele/shoes$ rvm current
    ruby-1.9.3-p0@shoes

    peterv@ASUS:~/b/github/petervandenabeele/shoes$ gem list

    *** LOCAL GEMS ***

    bundler (1.0.21)
    rake (0.9.2.2)

    peterv@ASUS:~/b/github/petervandenabeele/shoes$ bundle install
    Fetching source index for http://rubygems.org/
    Installing rake (0.9.2)
    Installing builder (3.0.0)
    Installing diff-lcs (1.1.3)
    Installing json (1.6.1) with native extensions
    Installing gherkin (2.5.1) with native extensions
    Installing term-ansicolor (1.0.6)
    Installing cucumber (1.1.0)
    Installing net-http-digest_auth (1.1.1)
    Installing net-http-persistent (1.9)
    Installing nokogiri (1.5.0) with native extensions
    Installing webrobots (0.0.11)
    Installing mechanize (2.0.1)
    Installing rspec-core (2.6.4)
    Installing rspec-expectations (2.6.0)
    Installing rspec-mocks (2.6.0)
    Installing rspec (2.6.0)
    Installing shoes-mocks (0.0.2)
    Installing shoes-cucumber (0.0.2)
    Using bundler (1.0.21)
    Your bundle is complete! Use `bundle show [gemname]` to see where a bundled
    gem is installed.

    peterv@ASUS:~/b/github/petervandenabeele/shoes$ rvm current
    ruby-1.9.3-p0@shoes

    peterv@ASUS:~/b/github/petervandenabeele/shoes$ bundle show rspec
    /home/peterv/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.3-p0@shoes/gems/rspec-2.6.0

    peterv@ASUS:~/b/github/petervandenabeele/shoes$ rvm gemset empty shoes
    Are you SURE you wish to remove the installed gems for gemset
    'ruby-1.9.3-p0@shoes' (/home/peterv/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.3-p0@shoes)?
    (anything other than 'yes' will cancel) > yes

[...]

  • Colin Law at Feb 6, 2012 at 9:46 pm

[...]

    That's the one, thanks. I was looking for it as part of bundle but
    you are right, emptying the gemset is what I want to do.
    Below I show a log of `bundle install`, `rvm gemset empty` and `bundle
    install`
    After the empty I had to "gem install bundler" before "bundle install"
    as it took that out too. Otherwise exactly as you show. Many thanks

    Colin

  • Peter Vandenabeele at Feb 6, 2012 at 10:15 pm