Hi,

My application in rails 2.3.14, i want to implement the web services
method, please tell which one shall i use.

I have tried some action-webservice and one soap concept, but i didnt
get the request and responses fully.

Please suggest me.

  • Robert Walker at Feb 3, 2012 at 7:47 am

    Deepika Vummiti wrote in post #1043854:
    My application in rails 2.3.14, i want to implement the web services
    method, please tell which one shall i use.

    I have tried some action-webservice and one soap concept, but i didnt
    get the request and responses fully.

    Please suggest me.
    If you absolutely, positively have no other choice than using SOAP then
    try the following:

    http://savonrb.com/

    Otherwise, if you do have a choice, then get onboard with the rest of
    the sane world and use REST web services.

  • Deepika Vummiti at Feb 3, 2012 at 1:27 pm

    Robert Walker wrote in post #1043857:
    Deepika Vummiti wrote in post #1043854:
    My application in rails 2.3.14, i want to implement the web services
    method, please tell which one shall i use.

    I have tried some action-webservice and one soap concept, but i didnt
    get the request and responses fully.

    Please suggest me.
    If you absolutely, positively have no other choice than using SOAP then
    try the following:

    http://savonrb.com/

    Otherwise, if you do have a choice, then get onboard with the rest of
    the sane world and use REST web services.
    Will u plz tell some other webservices methods, atleast i want 2 or 3
    example applications in soap concepts, i didnt get this concept fully.

    Thanks,
    Deepika.

  • Robert Walker at Feb 3, 2012 at 1:58 pm

    Deepika Vummiti wrote in post #1043913:
    Will u plz tell some other webservices methods, atleast i want 2 or 3
    example applications in soap concepts, i didnt get this concept fully.
    I'm sorry, I don't quite understand this question.

    What do you mean by, "other web services methods?" Do you mean other
    protocols besides SOAP and REST? Or do you mean other SOAP frameworks?

    If you meant the former then there are some other protocols, like CORBA
    for example. However, it's very rare to see that outside of really old
    legacy systems. Another option would be to develop your own custom web
    service protocol.

    If you meant the latter then there's soap4r
    (http://rubygems.org/gems/soap4r) and maybe some others. However, AFAIK
    Savon is likely much better and easier to use.

    What do you mean by, "I didn't get this concept fully."

    If you found understanding the SOAP protocol difficult then join the
    rest of us. SOAP is complicated and not easily understood. There's no
    way I can even begin to help you understand it. I've interfaced with a
    number of SOAP services myself. Most of them took some real effort to
    get working correctly.

    You might be fine if you are using the exact same SOAP tools on both the
    server and client side (this is almost certainly not the case if you're
    working with Ruby). But, this actually defeats the purpose of having web
    services protocol standards.

    The problem with SOAP is that the standard is broken. Not everyone
    implements SOAP the same way, so clients built in one tool won't work
    correctly with servers built with a different tool. This is the primary
    reason why Rails is opinionated, and biased, toward the REST protocol
    for web services. Rails is REST by design.

  • Balaji D Loganathan at Feb 5, 2012 at 3:47 pm
    Hi Deepika,
    Please see a sample savon app code here
    http://www.spritle.com/blogs/2011/09/28/consume-soap-webservices-using-ruby-with-savon/

    Regards