Very strange problem: Ton's of ruby process just running simple command
"rails --version" or "rails new test1""

I have very strange problem. I try to run this simple command
"rails new test1" --> this suppose to be create a new rails site.
"rails --version" --> even this I got ton's of ruby process

but I got a lot of ruby process,
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/12/tonsofrubyprocess.png/

Here is my environment
rvm --version rvm 1.7.2
ruby 1.9.2p290 (2011-07-09 revision 32553) [x86_64-darwin10.6.0]
rails-3.2.1

Any one every has the same problem?

Attachments:
http://www.ruby-forum.com/attachment/6948/TonsOfRubyProcess.jpg

  • Colin Law at Feb 1, 2012 at 8:57 pm

    Very strange problem: Ton's of ruby process just running simple command
    "rails --version" or "rails new test1""

    I have very strange problem. I try to run this simple command
    "rails new test1"   --> this suppose to be create a new rails site.
    "rails --version"   --> even this I got ton's of ruby process

    but I got a lot of ruby process,
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/12/tonsofrubyprocess.png/

    Here is my environment
    rvm --version rvm 1.7.2
    ruby 1.9.2p290 (2011-07-09 revision 32553) [x86_64-darwin10.6.0]
    rails-3.2.1
    No idea why but in the quest for more information, do you get any
    errors? Does the command work?

    Colin

  • Steve Robin at Feb 1, 2012 at 9:20 pm

    Colin Law wrote in post #1043562:
    No idea why but in the quest for more information, do you get any
    errors? Does the command work?

    Colin

    The command is not working and no error.

    Just simple commands below, it just hang there until i pressed control c
    rails --version
    rails new test1

    I am using MAC OS snow leopard.

    Is there away to find out from the log what is happening?

    I try to remove everything using rvm to remove ruby 1.9.2 and all its
    gems and reinstall again. but still having the same problem

    Any suggestion?

  • Peter Vandenabeele at Feb 1, 2012 at 10:01 pm

    No idea why but in the quest for more information, do you get any
    errors? Does the command work?

    Colin

    The command is not working and no error.

    Just simple commands below, it just hang there until i pressed control c
    rails --version
    rails new test1

    I am using MAC OS snow leopard.

    Is there away to find out from the log what is happening?

    I try to remove everything using rvm to remove ruby 1.9.2 and all its
    gems and reinstall again. but still having the same problem

    Any suggestion?
    A few random thoughts ... show us output from those commands below.

    $ cat ~/.railsrc

    $ rvm current

    $ rvm gemdir

    go into that gemdir and have a look at the gems.

    $ cat Gemfile

    $ gem list rail # Without s

    $ which rails

    $ ruby -ve 'puts 4'

    For your reference, I am showing the output I see here in a recently
    installed 3.2.1 project:

    $ cat ~/.railsrc
    --skip-bundle
    -T
    -d postgresql

    $ rvm current
    ruby-1.9.3-p0@kennyj

    $ rvm gemdir
    /home/peterv/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.3-p0@kennyj

    $ cat Gemfile
    source 'https://rubygems.org'

    gem 'rails', '3.2.1'

    # Bundle edge Rails instead:
    # gem 'rails', :git => 'git://github.com/rails/rails.git'

    gem 'pg'

    # Gems used only for assets and not required
    # in production environments by default.
    group :assets do
    gem 'sass-rails', '~> 3.2.3'
    gem 'coffee-rails', '~> 3.2.1'

    # See https://github.com/sstephenson/execjs#readme for more supported
    runtimes
    # gem 'therubyracer'

    gem 'uglifier', '>= 1.0.3'
    end

    gem 'jquery-rails'

    # To use ActiveModel has_secure_password
    # gem 'bcrypt-ruby', '~> 3.0.0'

    # To use Jbuilder templates for JSON
    # gem 'jbuilder'

    # Use unicorn as the web server
    # gem 'unicorn'

    # Deploy with Capistrano
    # gem 'capistrano'

    # To use debugger
    # gem 'ruby-debug19', :require => 'ruby-debug'

    $ gem list rail

    *** LOCAL GEMS ***

    rails (3.2.1)
    railties (3.2.1)

    $ which rails
    /home/peterv/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.3-p0@kennyj/bin/rails

    $ ruby -ve 'puts 4'
    ruby 1.9.3p0 (2011-10-30 revision 33570) [i686-linux]
    4

    HTH (this is somewhat random probing ...)

    Peter

  • Steve Robin at Feb 2, 2012 at 5:04 am
    Thanks Peter, for excellent way to troubleshoot it.

    here is the ouput
    https://gist.github.com/1721589

    in summary below
    robinhood:~ steve$ cat ~/.railsrc
    cat: /Users/steve/.railsrc: No such file or directory

    robinhood:~ steve$ rvm current
    ruby-1.9.2-p290@rails3

    robinhood:~ steve$ rvm gemdir
    /Users/steve/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p290@rails3

    robinhood:~ steve$ cd /Users/steve/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p290@rails3

    robinhood:ruby-1.9.2-p290@rails3 steve$ cat Gemfile
    cat: Gemfile: No such file or directory

    robinhood:ruby-1.9.2-p290@rails3 steve$ gem list rail

    *** LOCAL GEMS ***

    rails (3.1.0.rc6, 3.0.10, 3.0.3)
    railties (3.1.0.rc6, 3.0.10, 3.0.3)
    robinhood:ruby-1.9.2-p290@rails3 steve$ which rails
    /Users/steve/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p290@rails3/bin/rails
    robinhood:ruby-1.9.2-p290@rails3 steve$ ruby -ve 'puts 4'
    ruby 1.9.2p290 (2011-07-09 revision 32553) [x86_64-darwin10.6.0]
    4

    Thanks for you help,
    Steve

  • Peter Vandenabeele at Feb 2, 2012 at 9:12 am