I have a custom serializer object that I use for an attribute of
ActiveRecord as presented in this article:
http://www.edgerails.info/articles/what-s-new-in-edge-rails/2011/03/09/custom-activerecord-attribute-serialization/index.html

If I assign a value to that attribute with a form (in my case a nested
form), I don't get the deserialized value in the params hash as it used
to be with Rails 3.1, but now I get a serializer struct that contains
the custom serializer class instance and the deserialized value.

Does anybody know whether this is intentional, or is it just broken and
I have to work around that until it gets fixed...?

  • Tigrish at Feb 10, 2012 at 6:38 pm
    I'm seeing the same problem after having upgraded to rails 3.2 .

    No custom serializer for me, just a regular serialized field.

    Previous behaviour was to have the field automatically deserialized, but
    instead I'm getting the serialized version.

  • Gabriel Williams at Mar 28, 2012 at 10:56 pm
    Any update on this? Serialization just plain isn't working for me using
    3.2.

    Gabriel
    I'm seeing the same problem after having upgraded to rails 3.2 .

    No custom serializer for me, just a regular serialized field.

    Previous behaviour was to have the field automatically deserialized, but
    instead I'm getting the serialized version.
  • Frederick Cheung at Mar 28, 2012 at 11:07 pm

    Any update on this?  Serialization just plain isn't working for me using
    3.2.
    Which version are you using ? Rails 3.2.2 fixed some behaviour in that
    respect for us.

    Fred

    Gabriel