I am using require 'digest/sha1' to encrypt my password and save into
database. During login it is showing the following error-

undefined local variable or method `encrypted_password' for
#<Signin:0x992c990

code:

before_save :encrypt_password

def has_password?(submitted_password)
encrypted_password == encrypt(submitted_password)
end

private

def encrypt_password
self.salt = make_salt unless has_password?(password)
self.encrypted_password = encrypt(password)
end

def encrypt(string)
secure_hash("#{salt}--#{string}")
end

def make_salt
secure_hash("#{Time.now.utc}--#{password}")
end

def secure_hash(string)
Digest::SHA2.hexdigest(string)
end

Please help me dis !

  • Kaushal kishor sharma at Jan 28, 2012 at 7:56 am
    you are not declared 'encrypted_password'' variable. so first declared that
    variable in model and use it.
[...]

  • Colin Law at Jan 28, 2012 at 8:52 am

    I am using require 'digest/sha1' to encrypt my password and save into
    database. During login it is showing the following error-

    undefined local variable or method `encrypted_password' for
    #<Signin:0x992c990
    You have tried to access a method encrypted_password on the Signin
    class. Either the signins table does not have a column of that name,
    or you are calling encrypted_password on the wrong class type.

    Colin
    code:

    before_save :encrypt_password

    def has_password?(submitted_password)
    encrypted_password == encrypt(submitted_password)
    end

    private

    def encrypt_password
    self.salt = make_salt unless has_password?(password)
    self.encrypted_password = encrypt(password)
    end

    def encrypt(string)
    secure_hash("#{salt}--#{string}")
    end

    def make_salt
    secure_hash("#{Time.now.utc}--#{password}")
    end

    def secure_hash(string)
    Digest::SHA2.hexdigest(string)
    end

    Please help me dis !

    gplus.to/clanlaw

  • Kaushal kishor sharma at Jan 28, 2012 at 9:21 am
    i think you should read this link for this problem :-
    http://ruby.railstutorial.org/chapters/modeling-and-viewing-users-two#sec:secure_passwords