Hi All,

I am having an ror application with ruby1.8.7 and rails2.3.5, the
performance of my application is not good enough. Is their any plugin or
gem available to improve the performance. Also I have already optimized
some of my code and db queries by optimizing the mysql query and by adding
indexes, but those are not gave drastic change in the performance.

regards,
Loganathan

  • Jordan Miller at Jan 17, 2012 at 7:56 am
    without knowing absolutely anything about your code, since you haven't told
    us much, it sounds like you should either refactor your code to make it
    efficient, or...

    easier solution is to just get a faster server.

    rails 3 does lazy loading so by definition that will cut down dramatically
    on your database calls. but then you'd have to upgrade your app, which it
    sounds like you don't want to do.

    there are gems to help you analyze where your slowdowns are happening. you
    can set the time to generate as a filter to find the slow pokes. it might
    be a very specific place in your app where you have inefficient calls...
    hopefully.

    cheers,
    jordan

    I am having an ror application with ruby1.8.7 and rails2.3.5, the
    performance of my application is not good enough. Is their any plugin or
    gem available to improve the performance. Also I have already optimized
    some of my code and db queries by optimizing the mysql query and by adding
    indexes, but those are not gave drastic change in the performance.

    regards,
    Loganathan

  • Colin Law at Jan 17, 2012 at 10:15 am

    I am having an ror application with ruby1.8.7 and rails2.3.5, the
    performance of my application is not good enough. Is their any plugin or gem
    available to improve the performance. Also I have already optimized some of
    my code and db queries by optimizing the mysql query and by adding indexes,
    but those are not gave drastic change in the performance.
    Are you running the app in production mode? Performance will be
    poorer in development mode.

    Assuming that you are already in production mode the next thing to do
    is identify where the bottlenecks in your app are, that should help in
    determining what to do about it. Have a look at the Rails Guide on
    Performance Testing which may help.

    Colin

  • Hassan Schroeder at Jan 17, 2012 at 4:32 pm

    I am having an ror application with ruby1.8.7 and rails2.3.5, the
    performance of my application is not good enough. Is their any plugin or gem
    available to improve the performance.
    There are gems to *analyze* performance -- which is what you need
    to do first; probably the most widely used: NewRelic (http://newrelic.com)

    Good luck!
    http://about.me/hassanschroeder
    twitter: @hassan

  • Deepika Vummiti at Jan 18, 2012 at 10:41 am

    Loganathan S. wrote in post #1041252:
    Hi All,

    I am having an ror application with ruby1.8.7 and rails2.3.5, the
    performance of my application is not good enough. Is their any plugin or
    gem available to improve the performance. Also I have already optimized
    some of my code and db queries by optimizing the mysql query and by
    adding
    indexes, but those are not gave drastic change in the performance.

    regards,
    Loganathan
    Hi Logs,

    You check your database mode whether in development or production,
    Better you install Mongrel server, when compared to webrick it is some
    what fast.

    Thanks,
    Deepika.

  • Muruga at Jan 18, 2012 at 10:50 am

    I am having an ror application with ruby1.8.7 and rails2.3.5, the
    performance of my application is not good enough. Is their any plugin or
    gem available to improve the performance. Also I have already optimized
    some of my code and db queries by optimizing the mysql query and by adding
    indexes, but those are not gave drastic change in the performance.

    regards,
    Loganathan

    Hi
    Use memcache it will improve the performance..