This is such a noobie question.

I have a file, http://www.ultradedup.com/videolib/One-minute-commercial-027.flv

I want to do two simple things:

1) I want to get the file size.

2) I want to read a few hundred bytes from the beginning of the file so as to pick up te flv's time duration.

Are there RoR and/or Ruby facilities to do this?

Ralph Shnelvar

  • Peter Hickman at Jan 3, 2012 at 9:37 am
    Well the File lass has a size method and you can open files and read
    them with sysread which is available in the IO class (which you get
    when you open a file)

    Also this has nothing to do with RoR

  • Ralph Shnelvar at Jan 3, 2012 at 12:52 pm
    Peter,

    Tuesday, January 3, 2012, 2:37:35 AM, you wrote:

    PH> Well the File lass has a size method and you can open files and read
    PH> them with sysread which is available in the IO class (which you get
    PH> when you open a file)

    PH> Also this has nothing to do with RoR

    At least on my machine

    C:\Users\Ralph>irb
    irb(main):001:0> File.size('c:/RailsInstaller/Sites/ultradedup002/app/views/usage/VideoTutorials.html.haml')
    => 32406
    irb(main):002:0> File.size('http://www.ultradedup.com/videolib/One-minute-commercial-027.flv')
    Errno::EINVAL: Invalid argument - http://www.ultradedup.com/videolib/One-minute-commercial-027.flv
    from (irb):2:in `size'
    from (irb):2
    from C:/RailsInstaller/Ruby1.9.2/bin/irb:12:in `<main>'
    irb(main):003:0>

    So File.size() seems to work on local files and not web-based files.

    I'll take this to the ruby chat list.

    Ralph Shnelvar

  • Sanjiv Jha at Jan 3, 2012 at 4:22 pm
    Hi Ralphs,
    just use these
    response = http.request_head(RemoteAddress)
    file_size = response['content-length']

    Josh Software Private Limited <http://www.joshsoftware.com>

    6, Thube Park,
    Shivaji Nagar,