So O have a working 3.1.2 application. I had done a
bundle install --deployment

Now I want to add nokogiri so I added
gem 'nokogiri'
to the Gemfile

I then did

- - - -

c:\RailsInstaller\Sites\ultradedup002> bundle install --deployment
You are trying to install in deployment mode after changing
your Gemfile. Run `bundle install` elsewhere and add the
updated Gemfile.lock to version control.

You have added to the Gemfile:
* nokogiri

c:\RailsInstaller\Sites\ultradedup002> bundle install
You are trying to install in deployment mode after changing
your Gemfile. Run `bundle install` elsewhere and add the
updated Gemfile.lock to version control.

If this is a development machine, remove the Gemfile freeze
by running `bundle install --no-deployment`.

You have added to the Gemfile:
* nokogiri

c:\RailsInstaller\Sites\ultradedup002> bundle install --no-deployment
.
.
.

c:\RailsInstaller\Sites\ultradedup002> bundle install --deployment

- - - -

What's going on? Why do I need to go through these contortions?

Ralph Shnelvar

  • Gautam Pai at Dec 31, 2011 at 10:25 am
    The machine where you run bundle --deployment, is that a development
    machine or a deployment machine?? because on http://gembundler.com/ it
    states

    Deploying Your Application
    On production servers, you can enable deployment mode:

    $ bundle install --deployment

    Do *not* use this flag on development machines. The --deployment flag
    turns on defaults that are appropriate for a deployment environment. Gems
    are installed to vendor/bundle and the Gemfile.lock must be checked in and
    up to date before Bundler is run.

    This is how i do it..

    After i create the rails app i run

    *bundle install*

    then run,

    *bundle package*

    which vendors the gems. Now anytime i need to add any new gem I add it to
    the Gemfile and run 'bundle install' which installs the gem and vendors it
    too.

    At the top of my '*deploy.rb*' file i have *require
    "bundler/capistrano"*which handles deployment automatically.

    This just works for me.

    Gautam Pai
[...]

  • Ralph Shnelvar at Dec 31, 2011 at 1:31 pm
    Re[2]: [Rails] bundle --deployment & --no-deployment