hi guys,
I am now rewriting an existing app (rails 2.3.8) with rails 3.1.x.

As observe_field() is no longer the way to go with rails 3 when ajax
is used, I am trying to rewrite a piece of functionality for when a
select box (drop down) with a div id of 'category' is clicked
(onChange),
-a call is made to the sub_categories controller with the category ID
(from the selected option in the category select box)
-the sub categories belonging to the selected category ID will be
returned and a another select box is to be generated in the div with
id of 'sub_category'.

I'm looking at http://www.simonecarletti.com/blog/2010/06/unobtrusive-javascript-in-rails-3/
and I have a question now.

How do I go about passing a variable value to the javascript that
performs the asynchronous call?

For example, i have :

// Append the function to the "document ready" chain
jQuery(function($) {
// when the #search field changes
$("#category").change(function() {
// make a POST call and replace the content
$.post(<%= category_sub_categories_path %>, function(data) {
$("#results").html(data);
});
});
})

-how do I pass the category id (which is a form value) to the
category_sub_categories_path??
-would the category_id value be valid in the jQuery call?

  • Leonardo Mateo at Dec 31, 2011 at 3:35 pm

[...]

    This has nothing to do with Rails, this is a strictly jQuery question.
    Take a look at the $.post documentation[1]

    Cheers.
    [1]http://api.jquery.com/jQuery.post/

    --
    Leonardo Mateo.
    There's no place like ~

  • K.M. at Jan 1, 2012 at 4:04 am
    1. The following javascript is being defined in myapp/public/
    javascripts/application.js

    jQuery(function($) {
    // when the #search field changes
    $("#category").change(function() {
    // make a POST call and replace the content
    $.post(<%= category_sub_categories_path %>, function(data) {
    $("#results").html(data);
    });
    });
    })

    2. this javascript is being applied to the myapp/app/views/parts/
    _form.html.erb partial template

    My question is, if there is a rails variable, @categories in the
    partial template, I need to pass the @categories.id value to the
    javascript from there.
    Would this work?

    If somebody understands this and could comment, kindly share your
    input.
    Thank you