I have a library conflict between jQuery.js & accordion.js

The first line of accordion.js is

$(document).ready(function() {

Firebug displays
$(document).ready is not a function

I have read http://docs.jquery.com/Using_jQuery_with_Other_Libraries. This link is an explanation of how to resolve the conflict.

To that end I have in a partial haml file

(function($) {
= javascript_include_tag 'accordion.js'
})(jQuery);

The rendered output is
(function($) {
<script src="/assets/accordion.js?body=1" type="text/javascript"></script>
})(jQuery);

but I am still getting the
$(document).ready is not a function
error message.

Is what I am trying to do even legal?

  • Craig White at Dec 31, 2011 at 2:10 am

    I have a library conflict between jQuery.js & accordion.js

    The first line of accordion.js is

    $(document).ready(function() {

    Firebug displays
    $(document).ready is not a function

    I have read http://docs.jquery.com/Using_jQuery_with_Other_Libraries. This link is an explanation of how to resolve the conflict.

    To that end I have in a partial haml file

    (function($) {
    = javascript_include_tag 'accordion.js'
    })(jQuery);

    The rendered output is
    (function($) {
    <script src="/assets/accordion.js?body=1" type="text/javascript"></script>
    })(jQuery);

    but I am still getting the
    $(document).ready is not a function
    error message.

    Is what I am trying to do even legal?
    ----
    sounds as if you tinkered with application.js or removed the reference
    to it completely and thus jquery isn't loaded at all.

    Craig

    believed to be clean.

  • Ralph Shnelvar at Dec 31, 2011 at 5:08 pm

    CW> On Fri, 2011-12-30 at 12:21 -0700, Ralph Shnelvar wrote:
    I have a library conflict between jQuery.js & accordion.js

    The first line of accordion.js is

    $(document).ready(function() {

    Firebug displays
    $(document).ready is not a function

    I have read http://docs.jquery.com/Using_jQuery_with_Other_Libraries. This link is an explanation of how to resolve the conflict.

    To that end I have in a partial haml file

    (function($) {
    = javascript_include_tag 'accordion.js'
    })(jQuery);

    The rendered output is
    (function($) {
    <script src="/assets/accordion.js?body=1" type="text/javascript"></script>
    })(jQuery);

    but I am still getting the
    $(document).ready is not a function
    error message.

    Is what I am trying to do even legal?
    CW> ----
    CW> sounds as if you tinkered with application.js or removed the reference
    CW> to it completely and thus jquery isn't loaded at all.

    Craig:

    I modified accordion.js by wrapping it in
    (function($) { ... })(jQuery);

    And everything works.

    If I don't do it, the text
    (function($) {
    })(jQuery);
    ends up being displayed on the webpage as the 1st two lines. I didn't see it before.

  • Zachary Scott at Jan 1, 2012 at 1:20 pm
    Put `= javascript_include_tag 'accordion.js'` outside your jquery listeners:

    _my_partial.haml
    = javascript_include_tag 'accordion'
    :javascript
    (function($) {
    // jquery listeners here
    })(jQuery);
    On Fri, Dec 30, 2011 at 2:21 PM, Ralph Shnelvar wrote:
    I have a library conflict between jQuery.js & accordion.js

    The first line of accordion.js is

    $(document).ready(function() {

    Firebug displays
    $(document).ready is not a function

    I have read http://docs.jquery.com/Using_jQuery_with_Other_Libraries.  This link is an explanation of how to resolve the conflict.

    To that end I have in a partial haml file

    (function($) {
    = javascript_include_tag 'accordion.js'
    })(jQuery);

    The rendered output is
    (function($) {
    <script src="/assets/accordion.js?body=1" type="text/javascript"></script>
    })(jQuery);

    but I am still getting the
    $(document).ready is not a function
    error message.

    Is what I am trying to do even legal?

  • Ralph Shnelvar at Jan 1, 2012 at 4:57 pm
    Zachary,

    This is over my head.

    a) What does the :javascript do? Where is it documented?

    b) What's a jquery listener? I have googled "jQuery listener" and a lot of stuff comes up. I need an introduction/overview.

    Speaking of which, is there a good introduction to javascript for programmers? Same for jQuery.

    Thanks!

    Ralph

    ZS> Put `= javascript_include_tag 'accordion.js'` outside your jquery listeners:

    ZS> _my_partial.haml
    ZS> = javascript_include_tag 'accordion'
    ZS> :javascript
    ZS> (function($) {
    ZS> // jquery listeners here
    ZS> })(jQuery);

    ZS> On Fri, Dec 30, 2011 at 2:21 PM, Ralph Shnelvar wrote:
    I have a library conflict between jQuery.js & accordion.js

    The first line of accordion.js is

    $(document).ready(function() {

    Firebug displays
    $(document).ready is not a function

    I have read http://docs.jquery.com/Using_jQuery_with_Other_Libraries.  This link is an explanation of how to resolve the conflict.

    To that end I have in a partial haml file

    (function($) {
    = javascript_include_tag 'accordion.js'
    })(jQuery);

    The rendered output is
    (function($) {
    <script src="/assets/accordion.js?body=1" type="text/javascript"></script>
    })(jQuery);

    but I am still getting the
    $(document).ready is not a function
    error message.

    Is what I am trying to do even legal?

    Best regards,
    Ralph mailto:ralphs@dos32.com

  • Dheeraj Kumar at Jan 1, 2012 at 5:29 pm
    a. It's a filter, haml allows those. Docs here.
    http://haml-lang.com/docs/yardoc/file.HAML_REFERENCE.html#javascript-filter

    b. Sounds like you don't know the basics of jQuery. By jquery listeners, ZS means the functions which listen to the DOM for any events, and handle them accordingly. Simply put, it's the document.ready where you define your event handlers, or "jquery code" if you prefer.

    c. w3schools.com, jqfundamentals.com

    Dheeraj Kumar