I am having issues loading imagemagick and rmagick on webfaction.

I have installed a rails app called balder that organizes images.

my main problem is that i can't seem to upoload the image sthrough balder.

balder uses imagemagick and rmagick

when i use the console and do this:

irb(main):003:0> require 'RMagick'
=> nil

I don't think rmagick is working -- anyone have any ideas?

thx

sg

  • Peter Vandenabeele at Dec 31, 2011 at 12:59 pm

    I am having issues loading imagemagick and rmagick on webfaction.

    I have installed a rails app called balder that organizes images.

    my main problem is that i can't seem to upoload the image sthrough balder.

    balder uses imagemagick and rmagick
    Well, checking deeper, it seems to use mini_magick by default
    and only optionally uses rmagick.

    when i use the console and do this:

    irb(main):003:0> require 'RMagick'
    => nil

    I don't think rmagick is working -- anyone have any ideas?
    This page:

    https://github.com/espen/balder

    says:

    - ImageMagicK. Carrierwave can use either RMagicK or MiniMagicK (default).
    To change resize option the correct gem must be used (specified in Gemfile)
    and change included setting for Carrierwave in file_uploader.rb
    Can be installed from: http://www.imagemagick.org

    Looking into that file:

    # Include RMagick or ImageScience support
    # include CarrierWave::RMagick
    # include CarrierWave::ImageScience
    include CarrierWave::MiniMagick

    Did you change these default settings?

    Looking into the Gemfile:

    https://github.com/espen/balder/blob/master/Gemfile

    # -- Photo resizing
    # MiniMagick
    gem "mini_magick"

    # ImageMagick:
    #gem "rmagick", :require => 'RMagick'

    # FreeImage:
    #gem "RubyInline"
    #gem "image_science", :git => 'git://github.com/perezd/image_science.git'

    So, probably, if you want to activate rmagick for CarrierWave, you should
    uncomment
    the line with "rmagick" and rerun `bundle install` after that.

    But, I would first check why the upload functionality does not work with the
    default mini_magick that _is_ most probably installed.

    But then again ... this file
    resources/DummyHTML/css/joshuaclayton-blueprint-css-05312a805eca539ab85e435cfd94bdedfd12ab2e/lib/blueprint/grid_builder.rb
    also tries to require 'rmagick' and install the gem 'rmagick'...

    HTH,

    Peter

    --
    Peter Vandenabeele