hey everyone i want to add a video and play it using ruby on rails .
how can i do it. can anyone help me plzz..

Thanks in advance

  • Ralph Shnelvar at Dec 28, 2011 at 3:30 pm
    hr> hey everyone i want to add a video and play it using ruby on rails .
    hr> how can i do it. can anyone help me plzz..

    hr> Thanks in advance

    After struggling with this for several days, I have finally been able to get some videos to play in Rails 3.1.2. There may be other ways of playing videos and if there are I'd sure like to hear about
    it.

    Here is some preliminary documentation. I'm gonna write up more when I get all the kinks out.

    The following instructions are for Rails 3.1.2

    1) Download from here: http://rubydoc.info/gems/jw_player_helper/0.0.1/file/README.markdown#

    2) Add
    gem 'jw_player_helper'
    to your Gemfile

    3) Do
    bundle install
    or
    bundle install --deployment
    depending on your needs.

    4) Assuming that you are using sprockets (which seems to be the recommended default), make sure that swfobject.js is accessible from your assets.

    You can check if swfobject.js is accessible by displaying Rails.application.config.assets.paths.

    Rails.application.config.assets.paths is an array of fully qualified directory names where assets can be found. Make sure that swfobject.js is in one of the directories and not in a subdirectory
    of one of these directories.

    5) Place your video(s) in a directory underneath public. I chose a directory named "videos".

    = video_player( {:file => 'videos/my_video.flv'}, {:width => '100%'} )

    Let me know if you get videos to work and if this sketch of documentation needs to be beefed up.

    Oh, this sketch is due to a frustrating 5 days of trying to get videos to play on 3.1.2. I hope it takes you a lot less time.

  • Santosh Kumar Mohanty at Dec 29, 2011 at 7:30 am
    Hey,

    According to my knowledge you can play the video url using a iframe or
    using Y_tube gem...
[...]

  • Hanish jadala at Dec 29, 2011 at 8:01 am
    i am using 2.3.8 rails and ruby 1.8.7 does it work in this version. is it
    mandatory to have rails 3
[...]

  • Ben Eggett at Dec 29, 2011 at 8:17 am
    Sorry to be harsh, but if you don't know how to code to play videos,
    you probably ought to forget about RoR for a bit and start with
    learning front-end coding and playback mechanisms. Once you have some
    solid tools built up, you can then bring it back into RoR and use Ruby
    to draw your video players and source files dynamically.

    There are plenty of good places to start, depending on your needs:
    http://camendesign.com/code/video_for_everybody
    http://sandbox.thewikies.com/vfe-generator/
    http://flowplayer.org
    http://videojs.com

    or simply youtube.com - embedding videos.

    You need to know the difference between front-end and back-end tools
    (client side and server side). Realizing that RoR will ultimately
    deliver front-end code to the user in some form or another

    hey everyone i want to add a video and play it using ruby on rails .
    how can i do it. can anyone help me plzz..

    Thanks in advance
  • Hackeron at Dec 30, 2011 at 2:00 pm
    Some times it's nice to know if there is a defacto standard - the
    current HTML5 generation of players are still pretty buggy.

    The best I've used is mediaelementjs, there is a rails gem here:
    https://github.com/tobsch/mediaelement_rails
[...]

  • Hanish jadala at Dec 31, 2011 at 8:23 am
    This playing a video is a new one for me so i am learning it. if u don't
    know how play a video it does not mean you don't know ROR . New things has
    to learned only by researching and in that process only i posted it.
[...]

  • Felipe Fontoura at Dec 30, 2011 at 3:44 pm
    Hello!

    You can play easy with flash players. So isn't a ruby task, you can add in
    view layer as html/js code.

    []'s

    ---
    Felipe Fontoura