Hello people!

This is my first post here and generally the first post I'm making on the
web regarding Ruby or Rails. I come from PHP and especially Joomla. I can't
say I have done some "serious" development till now. I've developed small
projects but never something 'big'. But these last months I'm very
productive and I have a nice idea that I want to develop. So I've searched
a lot and decided to go with Ruby & RoR for getting into serious web
development. I've started learning Ruby 3 days ago using "Beginning Ruby -
From Novice to Professional" by Cooper and I think I'm doing pretty fine
till now (just finished the first part).

As I'm eager to learn to develop, I'm constantly thinking about when it
will be a good time to start diving into Rails too. I mean, sometimes I can
be patient so I don't want to hurt my Ruby knowledge for rushing too soon
into Rails. On the other hand, I also don't wanna be too slow on this,
cause if I'm to learn Ruby, then when I finish this book I could go on
another one (Matz's book) so I will have a solid understanding of all the
aspects of the language *before* starting with Rails, but this could take
me a lot of time. I just want to do it the "right" way but as Rubyists
believe: "there is more than one way to do it" ;)

When would you suggest me to start with Rails? I already have basic
knowledge of MVC architecture and classes + objects in Ruby.

Thanks in advance.

  • Michael Pavling at Dec 27, 2011 at 11:22 pm