Hi all,

I am running into a weird issue where my application is giving me a
stack level too deep error. I can't seem to find where my code is
throwing this error. On the machine I developed this code on, this
error does not show up when I run rails s but when I move the code to
another system to run it this error shows up.

The system that this code runs fine on is a mac os x machine running
lion with rvm (ruby 1.9.2), rails 3.0.10.

The system that is giving me this error it is a ubuntu 10.11 using
passenger 3.0.11, apache2, rvm (ruby 1.9.2) and rails 3.0.10.

When I create a vanilla rails app on the ubuntu system, this error
does not show.

When I hit my application from the web, no matter which view I hit I
get the following error:

Showing /home/rails30/apps/vell/app/views/homes/index.html.erb where
line # raised:

stack level too deep

Extracted source (around line #):

Rails.root: /home/rails30/apps/vell

activesupport (3.0.10) lib/active_support/core_ext/class/attribute.rb:
81

the development log shows:

Completed 500 Internal Server Error in 282ms

ActionView::Template::Error (stack level too deep):

Rendered /home/vmcilwain/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p290/gems/
actionpack-3.0.10/lib/action_dispatch/middleware/templates/rescues/
_trace.erb (1.9ms)
Rendered /home/vmcilwain/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p290/gems/
actionpack-3.0.10/lib/action_dispatch/middleware/templates/rescues/
_request_and_response.erb (93.8ms)
Rendered /home/vmcilwain/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p290/gems/
actionpack-3.0.10/lib/action_dispatch/middleware/templates/rescues/
template_error.erb within rescues/layout (107.0ms)

Anyone have any ideas on how I can figure out what is causing this
error? I have tried poking around but Im afraid I just can't seem to
find it.

  • Colin Law at Dec 17, 2011 at 8:54 am

[...]

    I don't have a specific solution, but you could try using the Gemfile
    from the failing app with your vanilla app so that the same gems are
    used. If that breaks the vanilla app then you can find the gem that
    causes the problem.

    Colin

  • Vell at Dec 17, 2011 at 4:17 pm
    I just moved the Gemfile to the vanilla app and ran bundle install.
    Fired up the application using `rails s` and the application came up
    fine. I even created a new scaffold to test that I can hit a
    controller and that seems to be working fine as well.

    So I guess it has to be my code. I guess I will have to keep poking
    around to see where I can find it but its like doing it with a
    blindfold on.
[...]

  • Colin Law at Dec 17, 2011 at 4:22 pm

    I just moved the Gemfile to the vanilla app and ran bundle install.
    Fired up the application using `rails s` and the application came up
    fine. I even created a new scaffold to test that I can hit a
    controller and that seems to be working fine as well.

    So I guess it has to be my code. I guess I will have to keep poking
    around to see where I can find it but its like doing it with a
    blindfold on.
    What happens if you copy the config folder from the failing one onto
    the vanilla one I wonder. Start a temporary local git repository for
    the vanilla app so you can easily get back to a working one once you
    get it to fail.

    Colin
[...]

    gplus.to/clanlaw

  • Vell at Dec 17, 2011 at 4:34 pm

    I just moved the Gemfile to the vanilla app and ran bundle install.
    Fired up the application using `rails s` and the application came up
    fine. I even created a new scaffold to test that I can hit a
    controller and that seems to be working fine as well.
    So I guess it has to be my code. I guess I will have to keep poking
    around to see where I can find it but its like doing it with a
    blindfold on.
    What happens if you copy the config folder from the failing one onto
    the vanilla one I wonder.  Start a temporary local git repository for
    the vanilla app so you can easily get back to a working one once you
    get it to fail.

    Colin
    Good idea. I created my git repository and moved my config file over.
    I changed the name at the top of the config file so I wouldn't get an
    unknown constant error and commented out the "root :to =>" line since
    it didnt exist in the application. Aside from that the application
    worked fine with no issues.

[...]
  • Colin Law at Dec 17, 2011 at 4:42 pm

[...]

    That surprises me a little. Keep moving other stuff over I suppose,
    eventually you will either have it all working or you will find the
    problem.

    Could it be to do with the path to the app? Unusual characters or folder name?

    Did you re-compile the assets after you moved it
    bundle exec rake assets:precompile

    Colin

  • Vell at Dec 17, 2011 at 4:48 pm

[...]

    The path to the app is about a simple as it gets. Even the app name
    itself is simple. Just one word with no underscores or special
    characters. Aside from the symlink in /var/www that apache2 uses to
    get to the app everything else is pretty direct.
    Did you re-compile the assets after you moved it
    bundle exec rake assets:precompile
    I did not re-compile assets, I wasn't aware that I needed to do such a
    thing when moving an app. I am very new to rails 3 and have mostly
    done my development in rails 2. I will certainly give that a shot and
    see if that is the source of my issue.
    Colin
  • Vell at Dec 17, 2011 at 4:51 pm

[...]

    My attempt to run bundle exec rake assets:precompile gave me an error:

    rails30@fangorn:~/apps/vell$ bundle exec rake assets:precompile
    rake aborted!
    Don't know how to build task 'assets:precompile'

    Colin
  • Colin Law at Dec 17, 2011 at 4:55 pm

    My attempt to run bundle exec rake assets:precompile gave me an error:
    Sorry, I don't think that was introduced till rails 3.1. So no need to do that.

    Colin

  • Colin Law at Dec 17, 2011 at 4:32 pm

    I just moved the Gemfile to the vanilla app and ran bundle install.
    Fired up the application using `rails s` and the application came up
    fine. I even created a new scaffold to test that I can hit a
    controller and that seems to be working fine as well.
    I presume that you did copy gemfile.lock to the second machine and did
    bundle install there.

    By the way, it makes it easier to follow the thread if you do not top
    post. Insert your reply at appropriate points in the previous
    message. Thanks.

    Colin

  • Vell at Dec 17, 2011 at 4:43 pm

    I just moved the Gemfile to the vanilla app and ran bundle install.
    Fired up the application using `rails s` and the application came up
    fine. I even created a new scaffold to test that I can hit a
    controller and that seems to be working fine as well.
    I presume that you did copy gemfile.lock to the second machine and did
    bundle install there.
    I didn't think I needed to copy the gemfile.lock to the mac os x
    machine since they are both the same file. As for the vanilla app, I
    only copied the gemfile not the gemfile.lock.
    By the way, it makes it easier to follow the thread if you do not top
    post.  Insert your reply at appropriate points in the previous
    message.  Thanks.

    Colin
  • Colin Law at Dec 17, 2011 at 5:00 pm

    I just moved the Gemfile to the vanilla app and ran bundle install.
    Fired up the application using `rails s` and the application came up
    fine. I even created a new scaffold to test that I can hit a
    controller and that seems to be working fine as well.
    I presume that you did copy gemfile.lock to the second machine and did
    bundle install there.
    I didn't think I needed to copy the gemfile.lock to the mac os x
    machine since they are both the same file. As for the vanilla app, I
    only copied the gemfile not the gemfile.lock.
    It is gemfile.lock that defines which gems and which versions to use
    for the app. When you move an app you should move the lock file with
    it and run bundle install. That will make sure the same gem versions
    are used as were used previously. If you don't do that then it may
    end up using different versions of the gems.

    Copy gemfile.lock from the working machine and run bundle install again.

    For more info on this have a look at
    http://gembundler.com/man/bundle-install.1.html
    which has a good description of how it all works. Well reasonably
    good, I have just posted a question here as there is (at least) one
    aspect I realise that I do not understand :)

    Colin

    By the way, it makes it easier to follow the thread if you do not top
    post.  Insert your reply at appropriate points in the previous
    message.  Thanks.

    Colin

    gplus.to/clanlaw

  • Vell at Dec 17, 2011 at 5:14 pm

    I just moved the Gemfile to the vanilla app and ran bundle install.
    Fired up the application using `rails s` and the application came up
    fine. I even created a new scaffold to test that I can hit a
    controller and that seems to be working fine as well.
    I presume that you did copy gemfile.lock to the second machine and did
    bundle install there.
    I didn't think I needed to copy the gemfile.lock to the mac os x
    machine since they are both the same file. As for the vanilla app, I
    only copied the gemfile not the gemfile.lock.
    It is gemfile.lock that defines which gems and which versions to use
    for the app.  When you move an app you should move the lock file with
    it and run bundle install.  That will make sure the same gem versions
    are used as were used previously.  If you don't do that then it may
    end up using different versions of the gems.
    When I moved the application from one system to the other, I moved the
    entire application folder so that copied the gem.lock file as well as
    everything else that was on my development system. It was a folder
    copy from one system to the other.
    Copy gemfile.lock from the working machine and run bundle install again.
    I have copied the gemfile.lock to the vanilla app and re ran bundle
    install again and the app still works without issue. I am now working
    on moving the migration files over then the models and controllers to
    see if that breaks.
    For more info on this have a look athttp://gembundler.com/man/bundle-install.1.html
    which has a good description of how it all works.  Well reasonably
    good, I have just posted a question here as there is (at least) one
    aspect I realise that I do not understand :)

    Colin

    By the way, it makes it easier to follow the thread if you do not top
    post.  Insert your reply at appropriate points in the previous
    message.  Thanks.
    Colin
  • Colin Law at Dec 17, 2011 at 5:24 pm

    When I moved the application from one system to the other, I moved the
    entire application folder so that copied the gem.lock file as well as
    everything else that was on my development system. It was a folder
    copy from one system to the other.
    Did you run bundle install after copying it? If not, try that. That
    will make sure all the right gems are available.

    Colin

  • Vell at Dec 17, 2011 at 6:18 pm

    When I moved the application from one system to the other, I moved the
    entire application folder so that copied the gem.lock file as well as
    everything else that was on my development system. It was a folder
    copy from one system to the other.
    Did you run bundle install after copying it?  If not, try that.  That
    will make sure all the right gems are available.
    Yes I did run bundle right after moving the application over. My
    steps for the copy were as follows:

    zipped the application on my mac
    scp'd the zip file to the ubuntu system
    unzipped the file in my ~/apps
    corrected the permissions (used a vanilla app to see what the
    permissions were)
    ran bundle
    ran rails -s
    connected to localhost:3000
    app reports stack too deep error

    On my mac, just running rails -s on the app and it comes up without
    any issue.
    Colin
  • Colin Law at Dec 17, 2011 at 8:24 pm

    When I moved the application from one system to the other, I moved the
    entire application folder so that copied the gem.lock file as well as
    everything else that was on my development system. It was a folder
    copy from one system to the other.
    Did you run bundle install after copying it?  If not, try that.  That
    will make sure all the right gems are available.
    Yes I did run bundle right after moving the application over.  My
    steps for the copy were as follows:

    zipped the application on my mac
    scp'd the zip file to the ubuntu system
    unzipped the file in my ~/apps
    corrected the permissions (used a vanilla app to see what the
    permissions were)
    ran bundle
    I presume you mean bundle install here.
    ran rails -s
    connected to localhost:3000
    app reports stack too deep error

    On my mac, just running rails -s on the app and it comes up without
    any issue.
    I am out of ideas then I think. Back to replacing the vanilla app a
    bit at a time until it fails.
    As a side issue it would really have been better to clone the git repo
    on the new machine rather than copying the whole lot. I wonder
    whether you have something in tmp/cache or somewhere else that is
    confusing it on the new system. If you end up copying everything over
    to the vanilla app and it then works then it must be something like
    that.

    Colin

  • Vell at Dec 17, 2011 at 9:08 pm

[...]
    Yes, Git is going to be next part of this. Right now I dont have a git
    server set up yet. I will continue to copy files over when I get back
    home and see if it breaks. I thought comes to mind that I should
    create a vanilla application on my mac and copy it over using the same
    process and seeing if it breaks.
    Colin
  • Vell at Dec 17, 2011 at 11:42 pm

    When I moved the application from one system to the other, I moved the
    entire application folder so that copied the gem.lock file as well as
    everything else that was on my development system. It was a folder
    copy from one system to the other.
    Did you run bundle install after copying it?  If not, try that.  That
    will make sure all the right gems are available.
    Yes I did run bundle right after moving the application over.  My
    steps for the copy were as follows:
    zipped the application on my mac
    scp'd the zip file to the ubuntu system
    unzipped the file in my ~/apps
    corrected the permissions (used a vanilla app to see what the
    permissions were)
    ran bundle
    I presume you mean bundle install here.
    Sorry Yes, I did mean bundle install
    ran rails -s
    connected to localhost:3000
    app reports stack too deep error
    On my mac, just running rails -s on the app and it comes up without
    any issue.
    I am out of ideas then I think.  Back to replacing the vanilla app a
    bit at a time until it fails.
    As a side issue it would really have been better to clone the git repo
    on the new machine rather than copying the whole lot.  I wonder
    whether you have something in tmp/cache or somewhere else that is
    confusing it on the new system.  If you end up copying everything over
    to the vanilla app and it then works then it must be something like
    that.

    Colin
  • Kernel panic at Dec 19, 2011 at 4:22 pm
    When I moved the application from one system to the other, I moved the
    entire application folder so that copied the gem.lock file as well as
    everything else that was on my development system. It was a folder
    copy from one system to the other.
    Did you run bundle install after copying it? If not, try that. That
    will make sure all the right gems are available.
    Yes I did run bundle right after moving the application over. My
    steps for the copy were as follows:

    zipped the application on my mac
    scp'd the zip file to the ubuntu system
    unzipped the file in my ~/apps
    corrected the permissions (used a vanilla app to see what the
    permissions were)
    ran bundle
    ran rails -s
    connected to localhost:3000
    app reports stack too deep error

    Do you not have any databases? You didn't mention that you ran rake
    db:migrate.
    On my mac, just running rails -s on the app and it comes up without
    any issue.
    Colin
  • Vell at Dec 19, 2011 at 5:34 pm

[...]
    Sorry, yes I did run bundle exec rake db:create and bundle exec rake
    db:migrate as part of my install process.

    On my mac, just running rails -s on the app and it comes up without
    any issue.
    Colin
  • Brynjolfur Thorvardsson at Dec 17, 2011 at 9:11 am
    Hi Vell, good to hear you've got your site working! The error you are getting is caused by Rails getting stuck in an endless loop with the resulting stack overflow. You are probably redirecting from your page to your controller which is redirecting to the same page which is redirecting to the controller .... redirect apparently doesn't always do what it says (i.e. redirect the browser), sometimes it just redirects within the controller (if I remember correctly - I had a similar problem a few weeks ago).

[...]

  • Colin Law at Dec 17, 2011 at 9:56 am

    Hi Vell, good to hear you've got your site working! The error you are getting is caused by Rails getting stuck in an endless loop with the resulting stack overflow. You are probably redirecting from your page to your controller which is redirecting to the same page which is redirecting to the controller .... redirect apparently doesn't always do what it says (i.e. redirect the browser), sometimes it just redirects within the controller (if I remember correctly - I had a similar problem a few weeks ago).
    Would you not expect to see a vaild line number in the error message
    and a much longer stack trace in that case?

    Colin
[...]

  • Brynjolfur Thorvardsson at Dec 17, 2011 at 10:03 am
    I honestly don't know - I got the same error a few weeks ago when trying to correct an old Rails site, catching a few undefined objects and sending the user an appropriate response. I tracked the problem down to a redirect in a controller where the redirect was sending the application into a loop - when I removed it and tackled the undefined object problems in the views (which was much more cumbersome) the stack overflow error went away!

[...]

  • Craig White at Dec 17, 2011 at 8:54 pm