My current ISP uses CPanel.

Sadly, my ISP is not giving me the support I need. He has some firewall
stuff that is causing my website to report 406 errors.

My preference is to go with a good ISP who uses CPanel to host RoR.

Or ... does anyone know how hard it is for a relative novice (me) to
move my website from CPanel to heroku?

  • Dheeraj Kumar at Dec 15, 2011 at 3:29 am
    Google says it's a popular topic, but I haven't heard of cPanel and RoR used in the same sentence.

    RoR installations is pretty easy to administer in a standard command line, beside that, you can have cPanel on your server to do common administrative tasks (I use webmin myself)

    Can someone tell me what are the advantages of using cPanel to manage RoR?

    Dheeraj Kumar

    Sadly, my ISP is not giving me the support I need. He has some firewall
    stuff that is causing my website to report 406 errors.

    My preference is to go with a good ISP who uses CPanel to host RoR.

    Or ... does anyone know how hard it is for a relative novice (me) to
    move my website from CPanel to heroku?

  • Phil Dobbin at Dec 15, 2011 at 3:38 am

    Google says it's a popular topic, but I haven't heard of cPanel and RoR used
    in the same sentence.

    RoR installations is pretty easy to administer in a standard command line,
    beside that, you can have cPanel on your server to do common administrative
    tasks (I use webmin myself)

    Can someone tell me what are the advantages of using cPanel to manage RoR?
    They're ain't many ;-)...

    I'm struggling with cPanel & RoR at the moment & it's unpleasant. Heroku's a
    far more sensible approach & any troubleshooting necessary can be done via
    this list & Google/Stack Overflow.

    Cheers,

    Phil.

    --
    Nothing to see here... move along, move along

  • Phil Dobbin at Dec 15, 2011 at 3:35 am

    Sadly, my ISP is not giving me the support I need. He has some firewall
    stuff that is causing my website to report 406 errors.

    My preference is to go with a good ISP who uses CPanel to host RoR.

    Or ... does anyone know how hard it is for a relative novice (me) to
    move my website from CPanel to heroku?
    If you have a fully working site locally on your machine, pushing that to
    Heroku in my experience, is relatively straightforward.

    I'd recommended getting a Heroku account & doing a test run & see what
    errors you encounter & then take it from there.

    Cheers,

    Phil...

    --
    Nothing to see here... move along, move along

  • Hassan Schroeder at Dec 15, 2011 at 3:40 am