Hi all,
I'm using Ubuntu 11.10 and the terminal to install and run Rails. Here
is the process I've taken so far to setup Rails:
download and install Ruby 1.9.2 and Rails 3.1.0
-- I did this using 'sudo apt-get ruby1.9.1' and 'sudo gem install
rails'
I made a new rails app using 'rails new path/to/app'
I went to the new app directory and tried running 'rails server' and got an
error about not having a JS ruby environment
I had to get a JS runtime environment for execjs so I downloaded 'therubyracer'
as well as 'therubyrhino' and added them to my gem file, one at a time:
'gem
'therubyracer'' then ran 'bundle install'
After everything was successful with the install, I ran 'rails server' again
-- with both runtime environments I have had similar errors:

Could not find libv8-3.3.10.4 in any of the sources
Run `bundle install` to install missing gems.

Could not find therubyrhino-1.73.0 in any of the sources
Run `bundle install` to install missing gems.

Bundle knows where these programs live, giving correct pathnames when I
enter 'bundle show libv8' or 'bundle show therubyrhino'. They are both
in /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/___ where all the other gems are
located for the bundle install.

Does anyone know where this exception is coming up in the Rails source
code? Does anyone know how Rails is gathering the gems? Better yet,
anyone had this problem and know how to fix it?

Thanks so much,
Feav

  • Peter Vandenabeele at Dec 14, 2011 at 9:29 pm

[...]

    A few replies:

    1) Where does Rails call the bundler code ?

    ../config/boot.rb
    More info in section 1.4 config/boot.rb of
    http://guides.rubyonrails.org/initialization.html

    I just tried to replay that code.

    When the rubyracer gem is present:

    peterv@ASUS:~/b/rails-apps/apps/temp/base_app/config$ irb
    001:0> require 'bundler'
    => true
    002:0> gemfile = File.expand_path('../../Gemfile', __FILE__)
    => "/home/peterv/data/backed_up/rails-apps/apps/temp/base_app/Gemfile"
    003:0> ENV['BUNDLE_GEMFILE'] = gemfile
    => "/home/peterv/data/backed_up/rails-apps/apps/temp/base_app/Gemfile"
    004:0> Bundler.setup
    => "GEM\n remote: http://rubygems.org/\n specs:\n ...
    libv8 (3.3.10.2)\n
    therubyracer (0.9.4)\n libv8 (~> 3.3.10)\n

    When the rubyracer is removed (with gem uninstall libv8), I get:

    peterv@ASUS:~/b/rails-apps/apps/temp/base_app/config$ gem uninstall libv8

    You have requested to uninstall the gem:
    libv8-3.3.10.2-x86-linux
    therubyracer-0.9.4 depends on [libv8 (~> 3.3.10)]
    If you remove this gems, one or more dependencies will not be met.
    Continue with Uninstall? [Yn] y
    Successfully uninstalled libv8-3.3.10.2-x86-linux

    peterv@ASUS:~/b/rails-apps/apps/temp/base_app/config$ irb
    001:0> require 'bundler'
    => true
    003:0> gemfile = File.expand_path('../../Gemfile', __FILE__)
    => "/home/peterv/data/backed_up/rails-apps/apps/temp/base_app/Gemfile"
    004:0> ENV['BUNDLE_GEMFILE'] = gemfile
    => "/home/peterv/data/backed_up/rails-apps/apps/temp/base_app/Gemfile"
    005:0> Bundler.setup
    Bundler::GemNotFound: Could not find libv8-3.3.10.2 in any of the sources
    from /home/peterv/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.3-p0@base_app/gems/bundler-1.1.pv/lib/bundler/spec_set.rb:90:in
    `block in materialize'
    from /home/peterv/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.3-p0@base_app/gems/bundler-1.1.pv/lib/bundler/spec_set.rb:83:in
    `map!'
    from /home/peterv/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.3-p0@base_app/gems/bundler-1.1.pv/lib/bundler/spec_set.rb:83:in
    `materialize'
    from /home/peterv/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.3-p0@base_app/gems/bundler-1.1.pv/lib/bundler/definition.rb:90:in
    `specs'
    from /home/peterv/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.3-p0@base_app/gems/bundler-1.1.pv/lib/bundler/definition.rb:135:in
    `specs_for'
    from /home/peterv/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.3-p0@base_app/gems/bundler-1.1.pv/lib/bundler/definition.rb:124:in
    `requested_specs'
    from /home/peterv/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.3-p0@base_app/gems/bundler-1.1.pv/lib/bundler/environment.rb:23:in
    `requested_specs'
    from /home/peterv/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.3-p0@base_app/gems/bundler-1.1.pv/lib/bundler/runtime.rb:11:in
    `setup'
    from /home/peterv/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.3-p0@base_app/gems/bundler-1.1.pv/lib/bundler.rb:109:in
    `setup'
    from (irb):5
    from /home/peterv/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.3-p0/bin/irb:16:in `<main>'
    006:0> quit

    peterv@ASUS:~/b/rails-apps/apps/temp/base_app/config$ bundle install
    Fetching gem metadata from http://rubygems.org/.....
    Using rake (0.9.2)
    Installing libv8 (3.3.10.2)
    Your bundle is complete! Use `bundle show [gemname]` to see where a bundled
    gem is installed.

    peterv@ASUS:~/b/rails-apps/apps/temp/base_app/config$ irb
    001:0> gemfile = File.expand_path('../../Gemfile', __FILE__)
    => "/home/peterv/data/backed_up/rails-apps/apps/temp/base_app/Gemfile"
    002:0> ENV['BUNDLE_GEMFILE'] = gemfile
    => "/home/peterv/data/backed_up/rails-apps/apps/temp/base_app/Gemfile"
    003:0> require 'bundler'
    => true
    004:0> Bundler.setup
    success

    2) One hint may to run

    $ bundle exec gem list

    and carefully inspect the outcome (can be different from $ gem list)

    Also study your Gemfile.lock file in detail for dependencies. Are all
    dependencies met ? Does `bundle update` help you? What is the
    exact version of the libv8 you have installed?

    3) (slightly off-topic) How to avoid these issues altogether ?

    This may be off-topic for your specific question, but in general, I find it
    easier
    to set-up a dev server on Ubuntu 10.x, 11.x with rvm. I published my recent
    experiences here:

    http://rails.vandenabeele.com/blog/2011/11/26/installing-ruby-and-rails-with-rvm-on-ubuntu-11-dot-10/

    Regarding the set-up of "therubyracer", this is how it worked in
    the rvm environment:

    <quote>
    ~/data/git/NewProject$ echo "gem 'therubyracer'" >> Gemfile
    ~/data/git/NewProject$ bundle install
    Fetching source index for http://rubygems.org/
    Installing libv8 (3.3.10.4)
    Installing therubyracer (0.9.9) with native extensions
    Your bundle is complete! Use `bundle show [gemname]` to see where a bundled
    gem is installed.
    </quote>

    and that worked out of the box.

    I Hope This Helps,