Hi everyone:

I am dragging for personal use a rails application using postgresql that
has been working for some time now. As I installed Fedora 16 adapted the
rails application to the new tools. The application works fine as long as
It is tried in development environment.

As soon as the production environment is used the following messages are
captured: "we're sorry, but something went wrong." in the browser. And

Started GET "/album/" for 200.88.224.30 at Sun Dec 11 19:28:07 -0400 2011
PGError (FATAL: Peer authentication failed for user "postgres" ):
in the log/production.log file

Any help would be very much appreciated .

Felipe

  • Craig White at Dec 12, 2011 at 3:28 am

    I am dragging for personal use a rails application using postgresql
    that has been working for some time now. As I installed Fedora 16
    adapted the rails application to the new tools. The application works
    fine as long as It is tried in development environment.

    As soon as the production environment is used the following messages
    are captured: "we're sorry, but something went wrong." in the
    browser. And

    Started GET "/album/" for 200.88.224.30 at Sun Dec 11 19:28:07 -0400
    2011
    PGError (FATAL: Peer authentication failed for user "postgres" ):
    in the log/production.log file

    Any help would be very much appreciated .
    ----
    I would not recommend that user 'postgres' is the user of any postgresql
    database from within rails but that is not an answer to your question
    but only a suggestion.

    If you check your RAILS_ROOT/config/database.yml file, you should have a
    section at least for 'development', 'test' and 'production'

    You don't say what is different from each configuration (obviously only
    the development & production configurations are relevant to your
    question) and you don't tell us if the the server is the same for both
    development and production.

    If I was going to guess, I would think that your development section
    uses a 'socket' to connect (something like /var/lib/mysql/mysqld.sock)
    and in production, you don't use a socket so it tries to use TCP/IP Port
    5432 which would cause user postgres to fail unless specifically
    configured in the pg_hba_conf file (but user postgres is really intended
    to use only via a local socket.

    Craig

    believed to be clean.

  • Gato pardo at Dec 12, 2011 at 7:25 pm

[...]

    Hi again:
    I should remenber that there are no great differences between
    development and production section in the database yml file.
    # config/database.yml
    development:
    adapter: postgresql
    encoding: unicode
    database: db_album
    pool: 5
    username: user

    And yes, I am using the same database for both environments. (maybe I
    should use another database for production), but what get me confused is
    that I get access to the database from any other node in the network when
    rails is not the tool used.

    I shall tried with other database users and other database in this
    application.

    Thanks

    Felipe

  • Craig White at Dec 12, 2011 at 8:13 pm

[...]

    and what does
    production:
    adapter: ?
    encoding: ?
    database: ?
    pool: ?
    username: ?

    look like?

    Craig

  • Gato pardo at Dec 13, 2011 at 1:34 am

[...]

    Craig:
    as I said, there is no difference between the two sections

    production:
    adapter: postgresql
    encoding: unicode
    database: db_album
    pool: 5
    username: user
    password:

    And, the strange in it all is that it has worked before.

    Felipe

  • Craig White at Dec 13, 2011 at 5:05 pm

[...]

    well I can only comment on what I see and what I don't see and I don't see anything that relates to 'how' the connection to the database server is being made (TCP/IP or local socket) and since the first post suggested that you were using 'postgres' as the 'username' - that almost requires that it be a local socket and not TCP/IP. Of course you can bend pg_hba.conf and give user 'postgres' a password and I would have absolutely no way of knowing that.

    I think if you want some more useful help, you're going to have to supply more details.

    Craig