I have an error installing gem cassandra.

sudo gem install cassandraBuilding native extensions. This could take
a while...ERROR: Error installing cassandra: ERROR: Failed to build
gem native extension. /usr/bin/ruby1.9.1 extconf.rbchecking for
strlcpy() in string.h... nocreating Makefile

makegcc -I. -I/usr/include/ruby-1.9.1/i686-linux -I/usr/include/
ruby-1.9.1/ruby/backward -I/usr/include/ruby-1.9.1 -I. -
D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -fPIC -g -O2 -Wall -Werror -o struct.o -c
struct.c

Gem files will remain installed in /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/
thrift-0.7.0 for inspection.

irb(main):001:0> reqire 'cassandra'

NoMethodError: undefined method `reqire' for main:Object from (irb):1
from /usr/bin/irb:12:in `<main>'

irb(main):001:0> require 'thrift'
=> true

What's wrong?

  • Walter Lee Davis at Dec 8, 2011 at 4:30 pm

    I have an error installing gem cassandra.

    sudo gem install cassandraBuilding native extensions. This could take
    a while...ERROR: Error installing cassandra: ERROR: Failed to build
    gem native extension. /usr/bin/ruby1.9.1 extconf.rbchecking for
    strlcpy() in string.h... nocreating Makefile

    makegcc -I. -I/usr/include/ruby-1.9.1/i686-linux -I/usr/include/
    ruby-1.9.1/ruby/backward -I/usr/include/ruby-1.9.1 -I. -
    D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -fPIC -g -O2 -Wall -Werror -o struct.o -c
    struct.c

    Gem files will remain installed in /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/
    thrift-0.7.0 for inspection.
    It seems likely that you don't have all the build tools installed or in your user's PATH.
    irb(main):001:0> reqire 'cassandra'

    NoMethodError: undefined method `reqire' for main:Object from (irb):1
    from /usr/bin/irb:12:in `<main>'
    Mis-spelled require.
    irb(main):001:0> require 'thrift'
    => true

    require works, so your Ruby is at least partially working then,
    What's wrong?
    What's your environment, and what steps have taken you to this point? It's impossible to guess at this stage. Are you able to compile and install other applications from the command line with this user?

    Walter
  • Dandy at Dec 8, 2011 at 7:35 pm
    Require Cassandra

    irb(main):001:0> require 'cassandra'
    LoadError: no such file to load -- cassandra
    from <internal:lib/rubygems/custom_require>:29:in `require'
    from <internal:lib/rubygems/custom_require>:29:in `require'
    from (irb):1
    from /usr/bin/irb:12:in `<main>'

    My gem list

    $ gem list

    *** LOCAL GEMS ***

    actionmailer (3.1.3)
    actionpack (3.1.3)
    activemodel (3.1.3)
    activerecord (3.1.3)
    activeresource (3.1.3)
    activesupport (3.1.3)
    ansi (1.4.1)
    arel (2.2.1)
    builder (3.0.0)
    bundler (1.0.21)
    coffee-rails (3.1.1)
    coffee-script (2.2.0)
    coffee-script-source (1.1.3)
    erubis (2.7.0)
    execjs (1.2.9)
    haml (3.1.3)
    haml-rails (0.3.4)
    hike (1.2.1)
    i18n (0.6.0)
    jquery-rails (1.0.18)
    json (1.6.3, 1.6.1)
    libv8 (3.3.10.4 x86-linux)
    mail (2.3.0)
    mime-types (1.17.2)
    multi_json (1.0.4, 1.0.3)
    polyglot (0.3.3)
    rack (1.3.5)
    rack-cache (1.1)
    rack-mount (0.8.3)
    rack-ssl (1.3.2)
    rack-test (0.6.1)
    rails (3.1.3)
    railties (3.1.3)
    rake (0.9.2.2)
    rdoc (3.11)
    sass (3.1.10)
    sass-rails (3.1.5)
    simple_uuid (0.2.0)
    slayer-thrift (0.7.0)
    sprockets (2.0.3)
    sqlite3 (1.3.4)
    therubyracer (0.9.9)
    thor (0.14.6)
    thrift (0.8.0)
    tilt (1.3.3)
    treetop (1.4.10)
    turn (0.8.2)
    tzinfo (0.3.31)
    uglifier (1.1.0)

    I think that error in the gem thrift_client, because ...

    ~$ sudo gem install thrift_client -v '0.7.1'

    ERROR: Error installing thrift_client:

    /usr/bin/ruby1.9.1 extconf.rb
    checking for strlcpy() in string.h... no
    creating Makefile

    make
    gcc -I. -I/usr/include/ruby-1.9.1/i686-linux -I/usr/include/ruby-1.9.1/
    ruby/backward -I/usr/include/ruby-1.9.1 -I. -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -
    fPIC -g -O2 -Wall -Werror -o protocol.o -c protocol.c
    gcc -I. -I/usr/include/ruby-1.9.1/i686-linux -I/usr/include/ruby-1.9.1/
    ruby/backward -I/usr/include/ruby-1.9.1 -I. -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -
    fPIC -g -O2 -Wall -Werror -o struct.o -c struct.c
    <....>

    make: *** [struct.o] Error 1

  • Sathia S at Dec 9, 2011 at 6:18 am
    sathia@sathia27 ~ $ sudo gem search cassandra --remote

    *** REMOTE GEMS ***

    activerecord-cassandra-adapter (0.1.0)
    cassandra (0.12.1)
    cassandra-cql (1.0.2)
    cassandra-jars (1.0.0 java)

    Try search for name.
    If that exist, but you cannot install.
    you need to update ruby gems.
    and then you can be install gem

    and then if you cannot install it.
    Please install its dependency
    See its dependency by below command

    sathia@sathia27 ~ $ sudo gem dependency cassandra --remote
    Gem cassandra-0.12.1
    json (>= 0)
    rake (>= 0)
    simple_uuid (>= 0.2.0)
    thrift_client (>= 0.7.0)

    Gem cassandra-cql-1.0.2
    bundler (>= 1.0.0, development)
    rake (>= 0.9.2, development)
    rcov (>= 0.9.9, development)
    rspec (>= 2.6.0, development)
    simple_uuid (>= 0.2.0)
    thrift_client (>= 0.7.1)
    yard (>= 0.7.2, development)

    Gem cassandra-model-0.2.4
    cassandra (>= 0, development)
    shoulda (>= 0, development)

    Gem cassandra_client-0.3
    json (>= 0)

    Gem cassandra_mapper-0.0.1
    cassandra (>= 0)
    mocha (>= 0, development)
    rake (>= 0, development)
    shoulda (>= 0, development)
    simple_mapper (>= 0)
    tzinfo (>= 0)

    Regards
    sathia

    Here I share my experiments with open source.
    http://www.sathia27.wordpress.com
    <http://www.sathia27.wordpress.com/>http://www.lquery.com<http://www.sathia27.wordpress.com/>

  • Dandy at Dec 9, 2011 at 10:46 am
    I recently started learning Rails and I'm sorry for my English (I live
    in Moscow) =)
    The Russian Rails Group of developers to me no one could help ...

    Initialy, I installed Ubuntu 11.10, then updated apt-get.
    Next, install the RVM and Ruby.

    Cassandra has installed the following instructions:
    http://blog.wolfgang-vogl.com/?p=140

    How do I link my application on Rails 3 and Cassandra?

    Thank you all!

  • Walter Lee Davis at Dec 9, 2011 at 7:18 pm
    I would try

    rvm get head

    that will update RVM to the latest. Then

    rvm install 1.9.2

    I know you have it installed, but do it again to get the latest version. Then:

    git update --system

    Then

    gem install cassandra

    And then read, parse, and act on the results of that last command. If it says something like, "Install failed, install log is here with the results of that failure" then locate and read that install log. Try to take each error one at a time, and resolve it. You may have to go back to the gem install cassandra line many, many times, once per thing you change from the install errors log.

    This part of compiling software is often compared to shaving a yak. Fun? Not really. If you need a shiny yak, then essential.

    Walter
    I recently started learning Rails and I'm sorry for my English (I live
    in Moscow) =)
    The Russian Rails Group of developers to me no one could help ...

    Initialy, I installed Ubuntu 11.10, then updated apt-get.
    Next, install the RVM and Ruby.

    Cassandra has installed the following instructions:
    http://blog.wolfgang-vogl.com/?p=140

    How do I link my application on Rails 3 and Cassandra?

    Thank you all!

  • Dandy at Dec 9, 2011 at 9:00 pm
    sudo rvm get head
    Original installed RVM version:
    rvm 1.10.0-pre by Wayne E. Seguin (wayneeseguin@gmail.com) [https://
    rvm.beginrescueend.com/]
    remote: Counting objects: 340, done.remote: Compressing objects: 100%
    (277/277), done.remote: Total 340 (delta 25), reused 193 (delta
    20)Receiving objects: 100% (340/340), 810.58 KiB | 744 KiB/s,
    done.Resolving deltas: 100% (25/25), done.From git://github.com/wayneeseguin/rvm +
    62631e5...db09ec1 master -> origin/master (forced update)HEAD is
    now at db09ec1 do not force changing ruby on gemdir, fix #631
    RVM: Shell scripts enabling management of multiple ruby
    environments. RTFM: https://rvm.beginrescueend.com/ HELP:
    http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=rvm (#rvm on
    irc.freenode.net) Upgrading the RVM installation in /usr/share/ruby-
    rvm/ Correct permissions for base binaries in /usr/share/ruby-rvm/
    bin... Copying manpages into place.RVM system user group 'rvm'
    exists, proceeding with installation. Recording config files for
    rubies.
    root,
    If you have any questions, issues and/or ideas for improvement
    pleasefork the project and issue a pull request.
    If you wish to disable the project .rvmrc file functionality,
    setrvm_project_rvmrc=0 in either /etc/rvmrc or ~/.rvmrc.
    NOTE: To Multi-User installers, please do NOT forget to add your users
    to the 'rvm' group. The installer no longer auto-adds root or users
    to the rvm group. Admins must do this. Also, please note that group
    memberships are ONLY evaluated at login time. This means that users
    must log out then back in before group membership takes effect!
    Thank you for using RVM!
    I sincerely hope that RVM helps to make your life easier and more
    enjoyable!!!
    ~Wayne

    Upgrade Notes
    * rvm_trust_rvmrcs has been changed to rvm_trust_rvmrcs_flag for
    consistency
    * Project rvmrc files are now checked for trust whenever they
    change, as promised by the note displayed during the review process
    * Ruby package dependency list for your OS is given by: rvm
    requirements
    * If you encounter any issues with a ruby 'X' your best bet is to:
    rvm get head && rvm reinstall X
    * If you see the following error message: Unknown alias name:
    'default' re-set your default ruby, this is due to a change in how
    default works.
    * after_use and after_cd hook now supports multiple files with
    after_*_* the custom hooks can be easily turned on/off by:
    chmod +x /usr/share/ruby-rvm/hooks/after_cd_[hook_name] chmod -x /
    usr/share/ruby-rvm/hooks/after_use_[hook_name]
    * If your shell exits on entering directory with freshly checked out
    sources you should update .rvmrc file, and replace any `exit ` with
    `return `.

    Upgrade of RVM in /usr/share/ruby-rvm/ is complete.

    Installed RVM HEAD version:
    rvm 1.10.0-pre by Wayne E. Seguin (wayneeseguin@gmail.com) [https://
    rvm.beginrescueend.com/]
    RVM reloaded!

    NEXT:

    $ sudo rvm install 1.10.0
    rbx-1.10.0 installing #dependencies
    Cloning git://github.com/rubinius/rubinius.git
    Copying from repo to source...
    rbx-1.10.0 - #configuring
    rbx-1.10.0 - #compiling
    rbx-1.10.0 - adjusting #shebangs for (erb ri rdoc).
    rbx-1.10.0 - #importing default gemsets (/usr/share/ruby-rvm/gemsets/)

    $ git update --system
    git: 'update' is not a git command. See 'git --help'.

    Did you mean this?
    update-ref

    AND:

    $ sudo gem install cassandra
    ERROR: Error installing cassandra:

    /usr/bin/ruby1.9.1 extconf.rb
    checking for strlcpy() in string.h... no
    creating Makefile

    make
    gcc -I. -I/usr/include/ruby-1.9.1/i686-linux -I/usr/include/ruby-1.9.1/
    ruby/backward -I/usr/include/ruby-1.9.1 -I. -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -
    fPIC -g -O2 -Wall -Werror -o protocol.o -c protocol.c
    gcc -I. -I/usr/include/ruby-1.9.1/i686-linux -I/usr/include/ruby-1.9.1/
    ruby/backward -I/usr/include/ruby-1.9.1 -I. -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -
    fPIC -g -O2 -Wall -Werror -o struct.o -c struct.c
    struct.c:28:1: ошибка: static-декларация <<strlcpy>> после неstatic-
    декларации
    /usr/include/ruby-1.9.1/ruby/missing.h:157:20: замечание: здесь была
    предыдущая декларация <<strlcpy>>
    make: *** [struct.o] Ошибка 1

    Gem files will remain installed in /var/lib/gems/1.9.1/gems/
    thrift-0.7.0 for inspection.
    Results logged to /var/lib/gems/1.9.1/gems/thrift-0.7.0/ext/
    gem_make.out

  • Walter Lee Davis at Dec 11, 2011 at 4:20 pm

[...]

    Sorry, I meant

    gem update --system

    Not git...

    Walter
    Did you mean this?
    update-ref

    AND:

    $ sudo gem install cassandra
[...]

  • Dandy at Dec 19, 2011 at 4:38 pm
    $ sudo gem update --systemERROR:  While executing gem ...
    (RuntimeError)    gem update --system is disabled on Debian, because
    it will overwrite the content of the rubygems Debian package, and
    might break your Debian system in subtle ways. The Debian-supported
    way to update rubygems is through apt-get, using Debian official
    repositories.If you really know what you are doing, you can still
    update rubygems by setting the REALLY_GEM_UPDATE_SYSTEM environment
    variable, but please remember that this is completely unsupported by
    Debian.

  • Walter Lee Davis at Dec 19, 2011 at 4:54 pm

    $ sudo gem update --systemERROR: While executing gem ...
    (RuntimeError) gem update --system is disabled on Debian, because
    it will overwrite the content of the rubygems Debian package, and
    might break your Debian system in subtle ways. The Debian-supported
    way to update rubygems is through apt-get, using Debian official
    repositories.If you really know what you are doing, you can still
    update rubygems by setting the REALLY_GEM_UPDATE_SYSTEM environment
    variable, but please remember that this is completely unsupported by
    Debian.
    Wow. How much control do you have over this server? Can you remove the Debian gem package and re-install gem from source? My sysadmin skills are limited to Mac OS X Server, Solaris, and Ubuntu, so I don't have any more specific advice for you there. If you can, I would take everything off -- gem, Ruby, everything except the build tools basically. Then use the RVM installer to install Ruby and gem in one go. Here's my (Ubuntu) recipe for that (do all of this as root):

    aptitude safe-upgrade
    aptitude update
    aptitude install build-essential openssl libreadline6 libreadline6-dev curl git-core zlib1g zlib1g-dev libssl-dev libyaml-dev libsqlite3-0 libsqlite3-dev sqlite3 libxml2-dev libxslt-dev autoconf libc6-dev ncurses-dev automake libtool bison subversion libcurl4-openssl-dev apache2 apache2-dev apache2-prefork-dev libapr1-dev libaprutil1-dev mysql-server mysql-dev
    (preceding should be all one line, naturally)

    bash < <(curl -sk https://raw.github.com/wayneeseguin/rvm/master/binscripts/rvm-installer)

    log out and back in

    rvm install 1.9.2
    rvm default 1.9.2

    gem update --system
    gem install passenger
    (follow instructions from the installer)

    passenger-install-apache2-module
    (follow instructions from the installer)

    If you don't have aptitude, you can substitute apt-get for it where noted above, I have used them interchangeably in the past.

    Walter

  • Kernel panic at Dec 19, 2011 at 9:05 pm

[...]

    I second the suggestion to use RVM instead of the debian packages for ruby
    and rubygems. I've generally found the packages to be problematic with a
    lot of newer gems. I read a while ago that the people who maintain the
    Debian ruby packages are essentially unsupported and few in number, so
    updates to those packages are very infrequent. I think they basically said
    not to expect a Debian package for 1.9.2 anytime soon.

[...]

  • Walter Lee Davis at Dec 8, 2011 at 8:33 pm
    So what is your build environment? Which compiler is installed, what version of Linux is this, are you running it inside a VM or anything odd like that? It sounds like you have ruby and rubygems installed fine, but you don't have the compiler or your environment set correctly to build anything that is processor-native. Ruby code per se is cross-platform, since it's an interpreted language. But anything in a gem that needs lower-level access to the hardware will often have to call out to a cross-compiler and create and link some C code or similar. That's where your environment is breaking down, from what I have seen. When you get that part working, you will be in better shape to use gem to install these more "binary" gems.

    Walter