Hi everyone,

I need to add some charts to a Rails 3.1 application.
I've used Gruff[1] in the past, and now, researching a bit, I found a
few options, the one I liked the most is Highcharts[2].
The thing is they're two different approaches. I think, server side
approach might be easier to maintain, but client side one might
provide a better user experience.
I'd like to hear some opinions and/or experiences if any of you can
share them with me.
I really don't know how much effort will be necessary to maintain a
client side approach and I'm trying to decide if it really worth it.

Any comment will be appreciated.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Cheers!

[1]http://nubyonrails.com/pages/gruff
[2]http://www.highcharts.com/

--
Leonardo Mateo.
There's no place like ~

  • Colin Law at Dec 4, 2011 at 8:07 am

    I need to add some charts to a Rails 3.1 application.
    I've used Gruff[1] in the past, and now, researching a bit, I found a
    few options, the one I liked the most is Highcharts[2].
    The thing is they're two different approaches. I think, server side
    approach might be easier to maintain, but client side one might
    provide a better user experience.
    I have used flot (client side) with good results.
    I'd like to hear some opinions and/or experiences if any of you can
    share them with me.
    I really don't know how much effort will be necessary to maintain a
    client side approach and I'm trying to decide if it really worth it.
    I don't see why client side should be any more effort to maintain than
    server side.

    Colin

  • CavalryJim at Dec 4, 2011 at 11:52 am

    I need to add some charts to a Rails 3.1 application.
    I've used Gruff[1] in the past, and now, researching a bit, I found a
    few options, the one I liked the most is Highcharts[2].
    The thing is they're two different approaches. I think, server side
    approach might be easier to maintain, but client side one might
    provide a better user experience.
    I have used flot (client side) with good results.
    I have used the GChart gem in a recent project with great success. It
    allows you to tap into the power and flexibility of Google charts.
    I'd like to hear some opinions and/or experiences if any of you can
    share them with me.
    I really don't know how much effort will be necessary to maintain a
    client side approach and I'm trying to decide if it really worth it.
    I don't see why client side should be any more effort to maintain than
    server side.

    Colin
  • Colin Law at Dec 4, 2011 at 12:12 pm