Hi all,

I am scraping a table off of another site and inserting it onto my
site. you can see an example on the initial page at: http://mthosts.heroku.com.
I'm referring to the green box with the snowbird weather and snowfall
information.

this box has been scraped off of the snowbird site at:
http://www.snowbird.com/ski_board/snowreport.php

The problem is that on the snowbird site it has degree symbols (°) but
on my page it shows up as: (�)

I think it has something to do with the encoding but i'm pretty new to
html etc. and am not sure what i can do to fix this. I've tried
substituting the characters and some other things but haven't had any
success yet.

any ideas?

thanks,

max

  • Everaldo Gomes at Nov 27, 2011 at 12:01 pm
    Hi!

    I opened the html source from the snowreport.php site and I noted that the
    strange symbols that you mentioned are htmlencoded
    characters. The symbol is °

    I had a similar problem on last Monday, but I couldn't complete solve it.

    Try the lib: http://htmlentities.rubyforge.org/

    or use a regular expression (sub, gsub) to substitute ° for the degrees
    symbol.

    Regards,

    Everaldo
    I am scraping a table off of another site and inserting it onto my
    site. you can see an example on the initial page at:
    http://mthosts.heroku.com.
    I'm referring to the green box with the snowbird weather and snowfall
    information.

    this box has been scraped off of the snowbird site at:
    http://www.snowbird.com/ski_board/snowreport.php

    The problem is that on the snowbird site it has degree symbols (°) but
    on my page it shows up as: (�)

    I think it has something to do with the encoding but i'm pretty new to
    html etc. and am not sure what i can do to fix this. I've tried
    substituting the characters and some other things but haven't had any
    success yet.

    any ideas?

    thanks,

    max

  • Max at Nov 27, 2011 at 2:46 pm
    i tried that but it didn't work for me. what did was to explicitly
    set the encoding property in nokogiri

    url = 'http://www.snowbird.com/ski_board/snowreport.php'
    page = Nokogiri::HTML(open(url))
    page.encoding = 'utf-8'