Hi all,

Iam having some doubts regarding sorting in rails based on date.

I have two models. Post and message.
Post has_many messages.
Message belongs_to post.

Message has a field called publish_on.

So i want to sort all posts based on publish_on date in the following
order.

Let us assume that the current date is 10th November and there are 6
posts with publish dates as 8,9,10,11,12 and 13 respectively so the
sortng of the posts will be as follows,

Post to be published on 10th November

Post to be published on 11th November

Post to be published on 12th November

Post to be published on 13th November

Post to be published on 9th November

Post to be published on 8th November

Thanks,

P.Angel

  • Colin Law at Nov 25, 2011 at 2:33 pm

    Iam having some doubts regarding sorting in rails based on date.

    I have two models. Post and message.
    Post has_many messages.
    Message belongs_to post.

    Message has a field called publish_on.

    So i want to sort all posts based on publish_on date in the following
    order.

    Let us assume that the current date is 10th November and there are 6
    posts with publish dates as 8,9,10,11,12 and 13 respectively so the
    sortng of the posts will be as follows,

    Post to be published on 10th November

    Post to be published on 11th November

    Post to be published on 12th November

    Post to be published on 13th November

    Post to be published on 9th November

    Post to be published on 8th November
    You could do that using two separate find operations and then
    concatenating them, or you could use sort with a block and put the
    logic in the block. I expect someone will point out a better way.

    Colin

  • Angel david at Nov 28, 2011 at 1:11 pm

    Colin Law wrote in post #1033691:
    So i want to sort all posts based on publish_on date in the following

    Post to be published on 12th November

    Post to be published on 13th November

    Post to be published on 9th November

    Post to be published on 8th November
    You could do that using two separate find operations and then
    concatenating them, or you could use sort with a block and put the
    logic in the block. I expect someone will point out a better way.

    Colin
    Hi Colin,

    Thanks for your reply.

    I did it as you said.. Got two different find operations and
    concatenated them..

    Once again thanks for your support

    Angel