Check that you have gcc installed.

This error comes up if it is not installed, because of the method they
use to check the existence of sqlite3.h: They simply try to compile this
one-line program:

#include <sqlite3.h>

If the compilation fails, they tell you that sqlite3.h is missing, but
the compilation will also fail if gcc is not present. It's not a very
smart check...

Lisa Concli wrote in post #641008:
Hi to everyone!

I'm new with Ruby on Rails..
I use linux (an italian distribution, that is just like Slackware)

I'm writing my first program with rails.. Nothing special.. it is the
famous Hello World..!
(I'm reading the book of Dave Thomas "Agile Web Development with Rails")

Well the problem is that when I point my browser to
http://localhost:3000/dire/ciao
("dire" is my controller and "ciao" is the action)
the browser displays this problem:

MissingSourceFile in DireController#ciao

no such file to load -- sqlite3

This error occurred while loading the following files:
sqlite3

So I write in my shell:
gem install sqlite3-ruby

The gem was installed, but the problem remains..!

Do you know what should I do?

I don't know if I have to change something in the file database.yml..?
database.yml:

# SQLite version 3.x
# gem install sqlite3-ruby (not necessary on OS X Leopard)
development:
adapter: sqlite3
database: db/development.sqlite3
timeout: 5000

# Warning: The database defined as 'test' will be erased and
# re-generated from your development database when you run 'rake'.
# Do not set this db to the same as development or production.
test:
adapter: sqlite3
database: db/test.sqlite3
timeout: 5000