HI All,

I surfed a lot , googled a lot , read/watched railscasts but could not get
the solution.

Below is my problem.

1) I wanted a parent domain www.xyz.com. This parent domain will have two
subdomains abc.xyz.com and def.xyz.com.

The parent domain will have a admin user who has capability to create/manage
subdomains.
The subdomains should an a siteadmin user who can edit the site information.
Each subdomain will have its own home page.

So If i give http://www.xyz.com in browser address bar it should go to a
home page say parent.
If I give http://abc.xyz.com it should go to different page.

The site admin of one subdomain should not be able to edit the other
subdomain.

They need to share the same database.

I checked a lot, But could not get the answer.

Please help me to progess i am stuck.

thanks,

  • Brandon Black at Oct 28, 2011 at 11:31 pm
    It sounds like what you're actually after in your application is
    what's called multi-tenancy. Try researching a bit on that topic and
    you may find what you need.

    Here are a few links to get you started:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multitenancy
    https://github.com/wireframe/multitenant
    http://www.slideshare.net/tardate/multitenancy-with-rails