Hi im trying to list random records on first page and from 2nd page to
onwards, i need to show records by created_at using will_paginate plugin
but i can only apply one of these condition at a time.

Im showing based on order clause e,g

Order('RAND()') or Order('created_at Desc')

And then applying pagination on it. I don't know how to apply both of
them with Random on ist page and created at on the rest of the
pagination. Anybody have any idea?

  • Frederick Cheung at Oct 26, 2011 at 12:01 pm

    Hi im trying to list random records on first page and from 2nd page to
    onwards, i need to show records by created_at using will_paginate plugin
    but i can only apply one of these condition at a time.

    Im showing based on order clause e,g

    Order('RAND()') or Order('created_at Desc')

    And then applying pagination on it. I don't know how to apply both of
    them with Random on ist page and created at on the rest of the
    pagination. Anybody have any idea?
    That sounds like two mutually contradictory aims. You could perhaps
    have a single 'random' page and then a series of paginated by
    created_at pages.
    If you absolutely had to present the illusion of the first page being
    a random selection, you could also fiddle with the page parameter - if
    it's 1 show a random selection, if it's greater than one subtract 1
    and pass that to will_paginate

    Fred
  • Hussam Ali at Oct 27, 2011 at 6:46 am

    Frederick Cheung wrote in post #1028581:
    That sounds like two mutually contradictory aims. You could perhaps
    have a single 'random' page and then a series of paginated by
    created_at pages.
    If you absolutely had to present the illusion of the first page being
    a random selection, you could also fiddle with the page parameter - if
    it's 1 show a random selection, if it's greater than one subtract 1
    and pass that to will_paginate

    Fred

    Ok i got your point, i have done this and it works,

    if params[:page].to_i > 1
    order by created_at
    else
    order by random
    end

    Is there any other possible approach of handling it or how can i make
    the above code more efficient??????

  • Walter Lee Davis at Oct 27, 2011 at 1:13 pm

    Frederick Cheung wrote in post #1028581:
    That sounds like two mutually contradictory aims. You could perhaps
    have a single 'random' page and then a series of paginated by
    created_at pages.
    If you absolutely had to present the illusion of the first page being
    a random selection, you could also fiddle with the page parameter - if
    it's 1 show a random selection, if it's greater than one subtract 1
    and pass that to will_paginate

    Fred

    Ok i got your point, i have done this and it works,

    if params[:page].to_i > 1
    order by created_at
    else
    order by random
    end

    Is there any other possible approach of handling it or how can i make
    the above code more efficient??????
    I think you're missing one thing here. This precise construction means that there is a significant chance that some items will never be seen at all. If the first "page" is random, it's not "random within the parameters of what would otherwise land on page 1", it's "random across the entire database". And then you move to page 2, where it's created_at über alles.

    What I would do is have a separate route for "random tease of what's in the database", and then have a real "everything, in order" route as is normal for an index + pagination.

    Walter
  • Hussam Ali at Oct 27, 2011 at 2:02 pm

    I think you're missing one thing here. This precise construction means
    that there is a significant chance that some items will never be seen at
    all. If the first "page" is random, it's not "random within the
    parameters of what would otherwise land on page 1", it's "random across
    the entire database". And then you move to page 2, where it's created_at
    ber alles.

    What I would do is have a separate route for "random tease of what's in
    the database", and then have a real "everything, in order" route as is
    normal for an index + pagination.
    Thanks Walter, it would certainly miss some of the items, but what you
    are saying to have separate route for random and for pagination is may
    be possible but right now i do not understand how to implement this, but
    i will try to do it and if u can elaborate it further with example then
    it would be helpful for me.

  • Walter Lee Davis at Oct 27, 2011 at 2:17 pm

[...]

    #foos_controller.rb

    def sample
    @foos = Foo.order('RAND()').limit(20) #mysql
    #@foos = Foo.order('RANDOM()').limit(20) #sqlite
    end

    routes.rb

    resources :foos do
    collection do
    get 'sample'
    end
    end

    #foos/sample.html.erb
    <h1>Hey look at all the cool foos we have!</h1>
    <%= render @foos %>

    #foos/_foo.html.erb

    And then your index.html.erb would be exactly the same as it currently is, with the pagination and whatnot, and your index (controller) method would also be the same, with no worries about making the pagination smarter. Wherever you wanted your random sample to appear, you would simply use the sample method. And your index would be a normal index without any notion of randomness, so any possible foo could be shown or found.

    Walter
  • Hussam Ali at Oct 28, 2011 at 7:15 am

    And then your index.html.erb would be exactly the same as it currently
    is, with the pagination and whatnot, and your index (controller) method
    would also be the same, with no worries about making the pagination
    smarter. Wherever you wanted your random sample to appear, you would
    simply use the sample method. And your index would be a normal index
    without any notion of randomness, so any possible foo could be shown or
    found.
    Thanks Walter, i appreciate your efforts, i understand your point here,
    but what you are saying is to have two separate things, my point is to
    show random items with pagination, we can show random items as shown
    above but we cannot accommodate this thing with our overall pagination,
    e.g

    def index
    @foo = Foo.order('created_at Desc').paginate :page => params[:page],
    :per_page => @per_page
    end

    As u are saying this would remain the same but my point is that we have
    to accommodate that random sample method in the first page rather than
    to have it separate from pagination. As in the above index method how
    can we pass sample in it just for first page?

  • Walter Lee Davis at Oct 28, 2011 at 12:51 pm

[...]

    I'm making a more fundamental point. If you randomize the sort when making your first page, it may not contain some elements that would ordinarily be found in the first page (when sorted deterministically). So you look at those things, and then you move on to page 2, which may contain elements you already saw on page 1 (remember, that was randomized) along with the rest of the next page of sorted elements. And so on. So at each page after 1, you have a fair chance of seeing a repeat, and you also have a statistically high chance of never seeing some of the elements that would have appeared on the first page, and this chance goes up the larger your total population of elements becomes. When you move to page 2, your sorting mechanism assumes you've seen everything that would sort to page 1, and never shows it to you again.

    Walter