Hi to all,

I have managed to install many gems but cant seem to be able to install
Cucumer. It produces the error that system cannot find the path
specified. I am using Ruby 1.9.2 on windows 7. I tried installing
gherkin and the same error occurred. I managed to install other gems
such as rails, heroku etc from the same location using the same command
(gem install *****). Does anyone have any idea why this is happening?

Thanks,

Matias

  • Colin Law at Oct 20, 2011 at 12:44 pm

    I have managed to install many gems but cant seem to be able to install
    Cucumer. It produces the error that system cannot find the path
    specified. I am using Ruby 1.9.2 on windows 7. I tried installing
    gherkin and the same error occurred.  I managed to install other gems
    such as rails, heroku etc from the same location using the same command
    (gem install *****). Does anyone have any idea why this is happening?
    Show us the exact command and error you are getting, copy it all from
    the terminal and paste it here.

    Colin

  • Mathew Birch at Oct 20, 2011 at 12:50 pm
    C:\Users\Mathew\Downloads>gem install gherkin
    Temporarily enhancing PATH to include DevKit...
    ERROR: Error installing gherkin:

    C:/Ruby192/bin/ruby.exe extconf.rb
    checking for re.h... no
    checking for ruby/st.h... yes
    creating Makefile

    Gem files will remain installed in
    C:/Ruby192/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/json-1.6.
    1 for inspection.
    Results logged to
    C:/Ruby192/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/json-1.6.1/ext/json/ext/pa
    rser/gem_make.out

  • Colin Law at Oct 20, 2011 at 12:58 pm

    C:\Users\Mathew\Downloads>gem install gherkin
    Temporarily enhancing PATH to include DevKit...
    Building native extensions.  This could take a while...
    ERROR:  Error installing gherkin:
    Ah, you are on Windows, sorry I don't know then. Someone else?

    By the way, rails development is much easier on Ubuntu (or similar) or Mac.

    Colin
    C:/Ruby192/bin/ruby.exe extconf.rb
    checking for re.h... no
    checking for ruby/st.h... yes
    creating Makefile

    Gem files will remain installed in
    C:/Ruby192/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/json-1.6.
    1 for inspection.
    Results logged to
    C:/Ruby192/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/json-1.6.1/ext/json/ext/pa
    rser/gem_make.out
  • Mathew Birch at Oct 20, 2011 at 1:15 pm

    Colin Law wrote in post #1027583:
    Ah, you are on Windows, sorry I don't know then. Someone else?

    By the way, rails development is much easier on Ubuntu (or similar) or
    Mac.

    Colin
    I tried using ubuntu as its also installed on my computer but i couldn't
    get the rails server running properly so decided to switch back since it
    used to work in windows :D

  • Luis Lavena at Oct 20, 2011 at 1:29 pm

    I have managed to install many gems but cant seem to be able to install
    Cucumer. It produces the error that system cannot find the path
    specified. I am using Ruby 1.9.2 on windows 7. I tried installing
    gherkin and the same error occurred.  I managed to install other gems
    such as rails, heroku etc from the same location using the same command
    (gem install *****). Does anyone have any idea why this is happening?
    If you installed RubyInstaller's DevKit and still have issues, you
    should check the troubleshooting page:

    https://github.com/oneclick/rubyinstaller/wiki/Troubleshooting#wiki-gems_fails_comspec_autorun

    --
    Luis Lavena

  • Javier Quarite at Oct 20, 2011 at 2:12 pm
    Have you tried http://railsinstaller.org/?

    I used that on windows, but I prefer rails on ubuntu.... maybe in the future
    I'll buy a mac :D
    I have managed to install many gems but cant seem to be able to install
    Cucumer. It produces the error that system cannot find the path
    specified. I am using Ruby 1.9.2 on windows 7. I tried installing
    gherkin and the same error occurred. I managed to install other gems
    such as rails, heroku etc from the same location using the same command
    (gem install *****). Does anyone have any idea why this is happening?
    If you installed RubyInstaller's DevKit and still have issues, you
    should check the troubleshooting page:

    https://github.com/oneclick/rubyinstaller/wiki/Troubleshooting#wiki-gems_fails_comspec_autorun

    --
    Luis Lavena

  • Mathew Birch at Oct 20, 2011 at 2:37 pm
    Okay I managed to install cucumber but faced another problem when i
    tried to install cucumber-rails. My cmd shows:

    C:\Users\Mathew>gem install cucumber-rails
    Temporarily enhancing PATH to include DevKit...
    ERROR: Error installing cucumber-rails:

    C:/Ruby192/bin/ruby.exe extconf.rb
    checking for ffi.h... no
    checking for ffi.h in /usr/local/include... no
    checking for rb_thread_blocking_region()... yes
    checking for ruby_thread_has_gvl_p()... yes
    checking for ruby_native_thread_p()... yes
    checking for rb_thread_call_with_gvl()... yes
    creating extconf.h
    creating Makefile

    make
    C:/Ruby192/bin/ruby -e "puts 'EXPORTS', 'Init_ffi_c'" >
    ffi_c-i386-mingw32.def
    gcc -I. -IC:/Ruby192/include/ruby-1.9.1/i386-mingw32
    -I/C/Ruby192/include/ruby-1
    .9.1/ruby/backward -I/C/Ruby192/include/ruby-1.9.1 -I.
    -DRUBY_EXTCONF_H=\"extcon
    f.h\" -O3 -g -Wextra -Wno-unused-parameter -Wno-parentheses
    -Wpointer-arith -
    Wwrite-strings -Wno-missing-field-initializers -Wno-long-long
    -Wno-declaration-a
    fter-statement -o AbstractMemory.o -c AbstractMemory.c
    In file included from AbstractMemory.c:28:0:
    compat.h:65:20: warning: extra tokens at end of #ifndef directive
    compat.h:69:24: warning: extra tokens at end of #ifndef directive
    In file included from AbstractMemory.h:29:0,
    from AbstractMemory.c:29:
    Types.h:68:17: fatal error: ffi.h: No such file or directory
    compilation terminated.
    make: *** [AbstractMemory.o] Error 1

    Gem files will remain installed in
    C:/Ruby192/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/ffi-1.0.1
    0 for inspection.
    Results logged to
    C:/Ruby192/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/ffi1.0.10/ext/ffi_c/gem_make.out

  • Powertoaster at Oct 21, 2011 at 10:20 am
    Try adding

    gem 'ffi','1.0.9'

    To your gemfile, 1.1.0 has issues.
[...]

  • Mathew Birch at Oct 21, 2011 at 2:15 pm

    Wayne A. wrote in post #1027742:
    Try adding

    gem 'ffi','1.0.9'

    To your gemfile, 1.1.0 has issue
    Finally managed to install all the gems. I just added --platform Win32
    to the end of the gem install cucumber-rails command and it worked fine.
    Thanks to all who answered to my questions.