Hi, I want to write APIs for my rails 3.1 application but have never
written an API ever. I am supposed to write REST and SOAP APIs. Is
there a formal book or e-book or screencasts or tutorials which
teaches about APIs in Rails and best practices?

  • Roy Situmorang at Oct 12, 2011 at 3:36 am
    I suggest you to read Rails 3 in Action book written by Ryan Bigg and Yehuda
    Katz.
    Hi, I want to write APIs for my rails 3.1 application but have never
    written an API ever. I am supposed to write REST and SOAP APIs. Is
    there a formal book or e-book or screencasts or tutorials which
    teaches about APIs in Rails and best practices?

  • Martin Wawrusch at Oct 12, 2011 at 6:18 am
    Get yourself a copy of Service Oriented Design with Ruby and rails

    Read through this:
    http://www.ics.uci.edu/~fielding/pubs/dissertation/top.htm
    and read this:
    http://blog.steveklabnik.com/2011/07/03/nobody-understands-rest-or-http.html

    Make sure that you support oauth2 if you need security. I had some success
    with this gem here: https://github.com/flowtown/rack-oauth2-server

    In general I believe it is better to create a Sinatra rack app as part of
    your rails app that exposes the API, much cleaner that way. Use Json as the
    default transport.

    As for Soap... avoid it like the plague if you can.
    I suggest you to read Rails 3 in Action book written by Ryan Bigg and
    Yehuda Katz.

    Hi, I want to write APIs for my rails 3.1 application but have never
    written an API ever. I am supposed to write REST and SOAP APIs. Is
    there a formal book or e-book or screencasts or tutorials which
    teaches about APIs in Rails and best practices?

  • Santosh c at Oct 12, 2011 at 6:30 am
    check out ActiveResource too --
    http://railscasts.com/episodes/94-activeresource-basics