I was wondering how what you do when you have some serious client-side work
to do on a Rails app.

Good practice tells us to start from testing, so let's say we either:
1) Have Implement a bare-bones html (non-ajax) version of the feature using
an outside-in testing process already.
2) We don't (argh) have or follow a test-driven process.

Anyway, the point is, once you have the basic done, you then want to focus
on the GUI. The client wants it to look and behave in a specific way, and
you go and start putting your awesome client-side skills into action.

Form my experience, if the application is still small, it's a no brainer to
just go and modify the ERB/HAML/CSS/SASS as needed.

However, when the app gets stuffed with more objects, doing client-side work
is just too painful (requests can take several seconds).

What I like to do when a lot of client-side work is expected is to create
a separate folder with styles and the view(s) needed copied (erb removed, of
course), use placeholder data where needed (I might also test-drive the
javascript), and focus on the client-side only. You then remove Rails out of
the equation, which makes the process smoother.

How do you do it?

Cheers,

- Marcelo.

  • Aamax at Oct 9, 2011 at 5:32 am
    I have been working through Hartl's tutorials and am in chapter 11...
    almost done with it but have found a couple problems and am at a loss
    for solving them.

    First, prior to trying to add the ability to edit admin status all my
    tests were passing and if i take that one test out they pass again...

    1. I noticed today that when i do a user delete, it redirects to the
    deleted users profile page like it's supposed to but the user is never
    deleted from the database. no errors are displayed..

    2. When i try to delete a micropost i get a message saying "No route
    matches [GET] "/microposts/302"" I found a reference on stackoverflow
    for someone who had the same problem and solved it but I didn't get
    any relief from it on my side.

    3. I wanted to add the ability to set and unset the admin field in the
    database for a user so i added a checkbox to the user edit page. The
    checkbox shows up and has the correct value (which i thought was a
    pretty good achievement :)) and i wanted to write a test to ensure
    that my update works but i don't know how to set the checkbox
    programatically in the test. I'm putting it in the users_spec.rb and
    realize that i'm not doing it as elegantly as i should but I'm not so
    worried about that as i am the mechanics of what is happening as i'm
    trying to learn here. I've pushed my code up to github and tagged the
    commit with "admin-problem" in case anyone wants to check it out....
    it's at: git@github.com:aamax/sample_app.git

    I'd love some help with this... am feeling like i've been picking up
    ruby and rails pretty well, long way to go, but i've hit these couple
    walls and spent a ton of time on it. thanks in advance.

  • Max at Oct 9, 2011 at 5:02 pm
    i apologize, didn't mean to write this as a reply. meant it as a new
    subject.. will repost... doh!

    it's at: g...@github.com:aamax/sample_app.git