Hello,
I've been trying to install rails remotely on a Windows machine
and linecache19 fails in that it fails to build the native extensions
(linecache19-0.5.12). This is probably because DevKit is not
installed properly and may have to do with getting the right version
of it. We downloaded DevKit-tdm-32-4.5-2-20110712-1620-sfx and, to
keep it matched with the original code I'm trying to have everything
work with Rails 3.0.9. Do I need to uninstall DevKit and get another
version of it? If so, which one?
Thanks,
Barney

  • iGbanam at Oct 6, 2011 at 3:54 pm
    For a Windows machine, try installing using railsinstaller.org

    Regards,
    iG

    Sent from an Asteroid in Space™
    I've been trying to install rails remotely on a Windows machine
    and linecache19 fails in that it fails to build the native extensions
    (linecache19-0.5.12). This is probably because DevKit is not
    installed properly and may have to do with getting the right version
    of it. We downloaded DevKit-tdm-32-4.5-2-20110712-1620-sfx and, to
    keep it matched with the original code I'm trying to have everything
    work with Rails 3.0.9. Do I need to uninstall DevKit and get another
    version of it? If so, which one?
    Thanks,
    Barney

  • Barney at Oct 6, 2011 at 4:16 pm
    Thanks iG, but I think that Rails is working. I went back to the C:
    drive and typed the usual: rails new blog and it made the proper
    structure, then went to c:\blog\ and typed "rails server" which
    started up WEBRick. I then verified that it was running by opening a
    browser to "http://localhost:3000" and got the welcome message. So,
    something is going wrong in my main application. What might be the
    problem (rails server doesn't run in it and gives the linecache19
    error, and using "gem install linecache19" I get the error about
    building with native extensions.
    Barney

    For a Windows machine, try installing using railsinstaller.org

    Regards,
    iG

    Sent from an Asteroid in Space™

    I've been trying to install rails remotely on a Windows machine
    and linecache19 fails in that it fails to build the native extensions
    (linecache19-0.5.12).  This is probably because DevKit is not
    installed properly and may have to do with getting the right version
    of it.  We downloaded DevKit-tdm-32-4.5-2-20110712-1620-sfx and, to
    keep it matched with the original code I'm trying to have everything
    work with Rails 3.0.9.  Do I need to uninstall DevKit and get another
    version of it?  If so, which one?
    Thanks,
    Barney
  • Barney at Oct 6, 2011 at 5:29 pm
    Adding another detail, when I take the basic "blog" project (see
    above) and uncomment the "gem ruby-debug19', :require => ruby-debug"
    and then do a "bundle install" it gives me the error about the native
    extensions. This still sounds like a DevKit problem but I'd like a
    suggestion from someone who is pretty sure.
    Thanks,
    Barney

[...]

  • Luis Lavena at Oct 6, 2011 at 6:19 pm