Hello team,

I just installed Rails 3.1.0 on my LINUX (Red Hat) box.
I also installed Apache2 and IBM DB2 9.7.

I searched the web for a beginner's tutorials for Rails. Found a few,
although some conflicting.
One tutorial said that I could run: *rails demo*. I tried but it did not
work.

Another tutorial calls for running: rails new
/opt/rails_3.1.0/Code/Ruby/weblog ......, which I did. But then what???

Bottom line, I would love to find a good tutorial that has been tested so I
can start playing with rails.
BTW, I also purchased couple rails book over two years ago. One I recall is
*Rails Recipes*. But I prefer soft copy materials.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
--
Ruby Student

  • Colin Law at Oct 5, 2011 at 2:42 pm

    I just installed Rails 3.1.0 on my LINUX (Red Hat) box.
    I also installed Apache2 and IBM DB2 9.7.

    I searched the web for a beginner's tutorials for Rails. Found a few,
    although some conflicting.
    One tutorial said that I could run: rails demo. I tried but it did not work.

    Another tutorial calls for running: rails new
    /opt/rails_3.1.0/Code/Ruby/weblog ......, which I did. But then what???

    Bottom line, I would love to find a good tutorial that has been tested so I
    can start playing with rails.
    Have a look at railstutorial.org, I think that has some rails 3.1
    stuff. It is necessary to make sure that the tutorial is for the
    correct version of rails (first two digits anyway, 3.0, 3.1 etc.) or
    you will get confused. 3.1 is very new so there is probably not much
    about yet.

    Colin

  • BeeRich at Oct 5, 2011 at 2:42 pm
    Be careful of any learning materials. Rails 3.1 with updated versions of Ruby have new syntax. I'd get something recent to save you the hassle.

    Bottom line, I would love to find a good tutorial that has been tested so I can start playing with rails.
    BTW, I also purchased couple rails book over two years ago. One I recall is Rails Recipes. But I prefer soft copy materials.

    Any help will be greatly appreciated.
  • Paulo Paz at Oct 5, 2011 at 9:25 pm

    *Be careful of any learning materials. Rails 3.1 with updated versions of
    Ruby have new syntax. I'd get something recent to save you the hassle.*

    True.

    See that:

    @rails_apps <http://twitter.com/#!/rails_apps> Daniel Kehoe
    Top Recommended Resources for Rails http://j.mp/imROnG

    Good luck.

    Be careful of any learning materials. Rails 3.1 with updated versions of
    Ruby have new syntax. I'd get something recent to save you the hassle.

    Bottom line, I would love to find a good tutorial that has been tested so
    I can start playing with rails.
    BTW, I also purchased couple rails book over two years ago. One I recall
    is Rails Recipes. But I prefer soft copy materials.
    Any help will be greatly appreciated.
  • iGbanam at Oct 5, 2011 at 9:25 pm
    OP,

    Best place to start IMHO would be the guides.rubyonrails.org. There is a page for getting started; on there you can Create a blogging application from ground up.

    When you feel comfortable enough with Rails, you should read up on the other topics on the guides or visit api.rubyonrails.org for more technical insight.

    Regards,
    iGnition.

    Sent from an Asteroid in Space™