So I went down the path of Compass->Blueprint with Haml and 3.1.

For the longest time, I couldn't get of the css classes to actually
register. I followed instructions that suggested that every page needs
to have a container div with the class .container.

Then, I followed the chriseppstein / compass-rails-sample-application
example app and used a #container id. No go.

The correct answer is "Mormons." Uh, wait, no. The answer is to have
your body classed as "bp."

Code (in app/views/layouts/application.html.haml):

%body.bp

This was relatively easy to divine by actually looking at the css from
Blueprint which was:

body.bp .highlight {
background: yellow;
}

HOWEVER, I kept trying to follow instructions in tutorials and docs and
online answers. So here it is, in an online answer for anyone else that
might have the same issue.