Hi,
if you're new to Rails on Ubuntu DO NOT follow that blog post, it's
simply bad. Use RVM instead:
http://gezope.github.com/rvm_install_script/

First I highly recommend to start with all default settings. If
anything works properly and then you change DB for example and an
error occurs - you can be sure that it was the mistake.
Postgres is good, since you don't need to change any SQL I think
locally everything works fine, and remotely you'll like Postgres
later.

HTH Let me know if you've further questions, cheers
Zoli