here's my suggestion, note that my experience is on windows and linux only,
not mac, but none of these steps should be different. This is based on a
test app called "tom" and user named "tom"

# create the rails app with the postrges db
rails new tom -d postgresql

# create a user on your pg environment that has permission to create new
databases,
# is not a superuser, and cannot create other roles. You'll be prompted for
a password to assign
createuser -d -R -S -P tom

# edit your database.yml file with the new user/password. Should look
something like this:
development:
adapter: postgresql
encoding: unicode
database: tom_dev
pool: 5
username: tom
password: blahblah

# create the database
rake db:create

# migrate and seed the database
rake db:migrate
rake db:seed

Have fun!

  • Lasse Bunk at Sep 19, 2011 at 8:54 pm
    Use the 'pg' gem:

    gem 'pg'

    And in config/database.yml:

    development:
    adapter: postgresql
    database: my_checkins_development
    host: localhost

    Taken from a tutorial on my website:
    http://lassebunk.dk/2011/09/10/creating-a-location-aware-website-using-ruby-on-rails-and-postgis/

    /Lasse

[...]

    For more options, visit this group at
  • Tom Allison at Sep 30, 2011 at 12:49 pm