Guys,

Thanks a lot for all your help and input. Just in case it can help
someone else one day: it turned out that my table was corrupted. It
was a real surprise to me since I was still able to "use it" (via
joins) and mySQL would not "complain".

I found out doing a "check table": it did not return an error but it
was crashing mysqld every time.

Thanks
Pierre