Are any of you using hiera to look up a node's environment? If so, mind sharing any problems you ran into, conceptually or otherwise?

I'd like to keep all the top-level node data in hiera since all changes will be logged with git commits. Also the environment changes can easily happen in the same commit as other host metadata (owner, type) changes.

Given my skill level, I suspect I am better off creating some kind of ENC that is aware of where the hiera node yaml is stored. I can easily control the node data path and the ENC script.

I found this but it didn't go anywhere, seems a bit above my head though:

https://github.com/dalen/puppet-hiera-node
https://github.com/puppetlabs/puppet/pull/1414

My background reading:

https://docs.puppetlabs.com/guides/external_nodes.html