Puppet version 3.7.3

Master and agent are running on Centos v7.0

When the manifest includes the following block, it fails with the error
below:

code block:

     package {'s3cmd':
       ensure => present,
       provider => 'pip',
       require => Package['python-pip']
     }

(for reference, the python-pip package installs just fine). The error:

$ sudo puppet agent -t
Notice: Ignoring --listen on onetime run
Info: Retrieving pluginfacts
Info: Retrieving plugin
Info: Loading facts
Info: Caching catalog for toy9x123.analytics-qa.weather.com
Info: Applying configuration version '1420853760'

*Error: Could not set 'present' on ensure: Could not locate the pip
command. at 35:/etc/puppet/modules/etc/manifests/packages.ppError: Could
not set 'present' on ensure: Could not locate the pip command. at
35:/etc/puppet/modules/etc/manifests/packages.pp*
Wrapped exception:
Could not locate the pip command.
Error: /Stage[main]/Etc::Packages/Package[s3cmd]/ensure: change from absent
to present failed: Could not set 'present' on ensure: Could not locate the
pip command. at 35:/etc/puppet/modules/etc/manifests/packages.pp

so, this is odd. I've done some googling that indicates that a $PATH issue
might be in play, but when I do things like 'sudo which pip' I get
'/bin/pip' (centos symlinks /bin to /usr/bin). I've validated that pip can
install s3cmd without issue. The manifest still fails even if s3cmd is
installed, so it's completely a problem with how puppet is trying to call
pip.

Any insights?

Thank you;
Jason

  • Garrett Honeycutt at Jan 10, 2015 at 8:23 pm

    <http://toy9x123.analytics-qa.weather.com>
[...]

    Hi Jason,

    You found a bug in the pip package provider. It is incorrectly looking
    for pip-python in your path. I have created a ticket[1] for this issue
    along with the correspond patch[2] to fix it. A quick hack would be to
    symlink /usr/bin/pip-python to /usr/bin/pip.

    [1] - https://tickets.puppetlabs.com/browse/PUP-3829
    [2] - https://github.com/puppetlabs/puppet/pull/3468

    Best regards,
    -g