FAQ
Released April 1, 2014. (RC1: February 28; RC2: March 12; RC3: March 25; RC4: March 28.)

Facter 2.0.1 is the first release in the Facter 2 series.

Headline Features
- Fact values can now be arbitrarily complex data structures instead of simple strings.
- There's a new API for adding facts, which enables structured facts and allows fact values to be built up across multiple 'chunks' of code. (see http://docs.puppetlabs.com/facter/2.0/fact_overview.html for the full details )

Additional Changes
- There are some backwards-incompatible changes to fact resolutions which were queued up for a major semver bump.
- Code that was deprecated in the Facter 1.x series is now gone, both internal code as well as some facts ('ldapname', 'memorytotal', 'selinux_mode')
- Facter no longer supports Ruby 1.8.5.

See the full release notes here: http://docs.puppetlabs.com/facter/2.0/release_notes.html
Get Facter 2 by following the instructions here (but install the Facter package instead of Puppet): http://docs.puppetlabs.com/guides/installation.html


Eric Sorenson - eric.sorenson@puppetlabs.com - freenode #puppet: eric0
puppet platform // coffee // techno // bicycles

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Puppet Users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to puppet-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/puppet-users/98A571EF-7E6F-4247-9AB0-3206538268DA%40puppetlabs.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Search Discussions

  • DjE at Apr 2, 2014 at 9:03 am
    Hi,

    First, Thank's for this new featured version of facter !

    For your information, we have an issue with facter 2.0.1 on
    RedHat/CentOS 5.x (with ruby 1.8.7) and lastest puppet agent 3.4.3
    When you say "no longer support ruby 1.8.5", what's about the 1.8.7 ?
    (here provided by the linux distribution)

    The issue (-d does not provide more informations) :
    facter -p
    undefined method `puppetversion' for Facter:Module

    We have not yet test with RedHat/CentOS 6.x or Ruby 1.9

    Dje

    Le 02/04/2014 01:32, Eric Sorenson a écrit :
    Released April 1, 2014. (RC1: February 28; RC2: March 12; RC3: March 25; RC4: March 28.)

    Facter 2.0.1 is the first release in the Facter 2 series.

    Headline Features
    - Fact values can now be arbitrarily complex data structures instead of simple strings.
    - There's a new API for adding facts, which enables structured facts and allows fact values to be built up across multiple 'chunks' of code. (see http://docs.puppetlabs.com/facter/2.0/fact_overview.html for the full details )

    Additional Changes
    - There are some backwards-incompatible changes to fact resolutions which were queued up for a major semver bump.
    - Code that was deprecated in the Facter 1.x series is now gone, both internal code as well as some facts ('ldapname', 'memorytotal', 'selinux_mode')
    - Facter no longer supports Ruby 1.8.5.

    See the full release notes here: http://docs.puppetlabs.com/facter/2.0/release_notes.html
    Get Facter 2 by following the instructions here (but install the Facter package instead of Puppet): http://docs.puppetlabs.com/guides/installation.html


    Eric Sorenson - eric.sorenson@puppetlabs.com - freenode #puppet: eric0
    puppet platform // coffee // techno // bicycles

    --
    Jérôme HARDY
    06 26 33 04 91

    --
    You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Puppet Users" group.
    To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to puppet-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
    To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/puppet-users/533BD23E.1040107%40nosbox.net.
    For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
  • Andreas Ntaflos at Apr 2, 2014 at 9:25 pm

    On 2014-04-02 11:02, DjE wrote:
    The issue (-d does not provide more informations) :
    facter -p
    undefined method `puppetversion' for Facter:Module
    Something like this can also happen when you have a custom fact (or
    function?) that calls the Facter API in a now defunct way. For example,
    we had this in a custom fact:

    if Facter.puppetversion.to_i >= 3
    ...

    Which had to be replaced with this (works in Facter < 2.0.1, too):

    if Facter.value(:puppetversion).to_i >= 3
    ...

    This was kindly pointed out to me and fixed by Dominic Cleal in #puppet.

    Andreas
  • DjE at Apr 2, 2014 at 9:59 pm

    Le 02/04/2014 23:25, Andreas Ntaflos a écrit :
    On 2014-04-02 11:02, DjE wrote:
    The issue (-d does not provide more informations) :
    facter -p
    undefined method `puppetversion' for Facter:Module
    Something like this can also happen when you have a custom fact (or
    function?) that calls the Facter API in a now defunct way. For example,
    we had this in a custom fact:

    if Facter.puppetversion.to_i >= 3
    ...

    Which had to be replaced with this (works in Facter < 2.0.1, too):

    if Facter.value(:puppetversion).to_i >= 3
    ...

    This was kindly pointed out to me and fixed by Dominic Cleal in #puppet.

    Andreas
    Hi Andreas,

    Thx for your answer, it was indeed a loaded custom fact (-p) i have
    fixed with this new syntax and everything works like a charm !

    Dje

    --
    You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Puppet Users" group.
    To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to puppet-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
    To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/puppet-users/533C883A.10808%40nosbox.net.
    For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
  • Stefan Wiederoder at Apr 2, 2014 at 2:50 pm
    we´ve had trouble with the new version too:

    [root@zoe ~]# facter
    undefined method `kernel' for Facter:Module


    result was a downgraded to 1.7.5-1

    RHEL6-64 with
    ruby: 1.8.7.352
    puppet: 3.4.3

    --
    You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Puppet Users" group.
    To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to puppet-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
    To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/puppet-users/e43da920-62a8-4c79-b039-77a10dca927d%40googlegroups.com.
    For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
  • DjE at Apr 2, 2014 at 10:12 pm
    Hi Eric,

    Andreas give me the right way ! thx for your answer, i keep the --trace
    in my mind, it would allowed me to fix it by myself !

    Dje

    Le 02/04/2014 18:07, Eric Sorenson a écrit :
    Hi to both Stefan and DJE - these problems usually come up when there
    are multiple versions of facter installed, i.e. one via gem and one
    via RPM/deb. Can you verify this is the case? Run with --trace and do
    something like 'find / -name facter -type d' (hopefully with some
    smarter options if you have nfs mounts :) ) to see if there is another
    library directory that is getting picked up. Thanks!

    --eric0

    On Wednesday, April 2, 2014 7:49:59 AM UTC-7, Stefan Wiederoder wrote:

    we´ve had trouble with the new version too:

    [root@zoe ~]# facter
    undefined method `kernel' for Facter:Module


    result was a downgraded to 1.7.5-1

    RHEL6-64 with
    ruby: 1.8.7.352
    puppet: 3.4.3

    --
    You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
    Groups "Puppet Users" group.
    To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send
    an email to puppet-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
    To view this discussion on the web visit
    https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/puppet-users/47ff9d4e-aeed-4403-b966-d78997f52f5d%40googlegroups.com
    <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/puppet-users/47ff9d4e-aeed-4403-b966-d78997f52f5d%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
    For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
    --
    You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Puppet Users" group.
    To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to puppet-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
    To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/puppet-users/533C8B1F.1090802%40nosbox.net.
    For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
  • Chris Handy at Apr 4, 2014 at 4:35 pm
    I am really looking forward to the complex data structures. I was
    wondering how this will work with hiera going forward, specifically with
    the hiera.yaml hierarchy? Lets say that my hierarchy uses "role" and "app"
    facts to determine which level of the hierarchy to invoke. Would I be able
    to use an array of "apps" and have it match somehow? I could also see how
    this would allow multiple "roles" to be defined as a fact and invoked as
    well.


    On Tuesday, April 1, 2014 7:32:28 PM UTC-4, Eric Sorenson wrote:

    Released April 1, 2014. (RC1: February 28; RC2: March 12; RC3: March 25;
    RC4: March 28.)

    Facter 2.0.1 is the first release in the Facter 2 series.

    Headline Features
    - Fact values can now be arbitrarily complex data structures instead of
    simple strings.
    - There’s a new API for adding facts, which enables structured facts and
    allows fact values to be built up across multiple ‘chunks’ of code. (see
    http://docs.puppetlabs.com/facter/2.0/fact_overview.html for the full
    details )

    Additional Changes
    - There are some backwards-incompatible changes to fact resolutions which
    were queued up for a major semver bump.
    - Code that was deprecated in the Facter 1.x series is now gone, both
    internal code as well as some facts (‘ldapname’, ‘memorytotal’,
    ‘selinux_mode’)
    - Facter no longer supports Ruby 1.8.5.

    See the full release notes here:
    http://docs.puppetlabs.com/facter/2.0/release_notes.html
    Get Facter 2 by following the instructions here (but install the Facter
    package instead of Puppet):
    http://docs.puppetlabs.com/guides/installation.html


    Eric Sorenson - eric.s...@puppetlabs.com <javascript:> - freenode
    #puppet: eric0
    puppet platform // coffee // techno // bicycles
    --
    You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Puppet Users" group.
    To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to puppet-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
    To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/puppet-users/256f3c9e-96cd-4785-94cc-0c36109e04c7%40googlegroups.com.
    For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
  • Eric Sorenson at Apr 14, 2014 at 11:07 pm

    On Apr 4, 2014, at 9:35 AM, Chris Handy wrote:

    I am really looking forward to the complex data structures. I was wondering how this will work with hiera going forward, specifically with the hiera.yaml hierarchy? Lets say that my hierarchy uses "role" and "app" facts to determine which level of the hierarchy to invoke. Would I be able to use an array of "apps" and have it match somehow? I could also see how this would allow multiple "roles" to be defined as a fact and invoked as well.
    Hi Chris, there's a related feature for an upcoming release of hiera to add support for looking up keys in nested data structures. I'm in airplane mode at the moment so I can't look up the JIRA ticket but it's slated for hiera 1.4.0, the next feature release, and should be out in the next couple of months.

    Eric Sorenson - eric.sorenson@puppetlabs.com - freenode #puppet: eric0
    puppet platform // coffee // techno // bicycles

    --
    You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Puppet Users" group.
    To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to puppet-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
    To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/puppet-users/609D2645-CEB3-4C15-B440-ACDA8F0BB4F3%40puppetlabs.com.
    For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Related Discussions

Discussion Navigation
viewthread | post
Discussion Overview
grouppuppet-users @
categoriespuppet
postedApr 1, '14 at 11:32p
activeApr 14, '14 at 11:07p
posts8
users5
websitepuppetlabs.com

People

Translate

site design / logo © 2022 Grokbase