FAQ
Hi chaps,

I'm using Hiera in a light way to store a few global values for my
servers, including the site-wide SMTP relay etc. Yesterday I changed one
of the values to reflect my organisation's new SMTP server, but the
change hasn't been applied to my nodes. I'm using camptocamp/postfix to
configure the Postfix MTA on all my nodes

common.yaml:
---
uob_mail_relay: new-smtp.bris.ac.uk


init.pp:
class site_postfix {
    # Configure basic Postfix with minimal options
    class { 'postfix':
      myorigin => 'bris.ac.uk',
      relayhost => hiera('uob_mail_relay'),
      root_mail_recipient => hiera('admin_email'),
      inet_interfaces => 'localhost',
    }
    ...
    ...
    ...
}


After having changed the value in common.yaml, the Postfix config was
not changed on any of my nodes. I stopped and restarted the puppetmaster
and double-checked that the right manifests are being applied to my
nodes. Running hiera on the command line returns the new value for
'uob_mail_relay' so I have no idea why it hasn't picked up inside
puppet. Nothing bad is shown in the logs on the master or the node. Can
anyone make a suggestion?

Thanks,
Jonathan

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Puppet Users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to puppet-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/puppet-users/53048CFD.5070404%40bristol.ac.uk.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

Search Discussions

  • Jcbollinger at Feb 19, 2014 at 2:34 pm

    On Wednesday, February 19, 2014 4:52:45 AM UTC-6, Jonathan Gazeley wrote:
    Hi chaps,

    I'm using Hiera in a light way to store a few global values for my
    servers, including the site-wide SMTP relay etc. Yesterday I changed one
    of the values to reflect my organisation's new SMTP server, but the
    change hasn't been applied to my nodes. I'm using camptocamp/postfix to
    configure the Postfix MTA on all my nodes

    common.yaml:
    ---
    uob_mail_relay: new-smtp.bris.ac.uk


    init.pp:
    class site_postfix {
    # Configure basic Postfix with minimal options
    class { 'postfix':
    myorigin => 'bris.ac.uk',
    relayhost => hiera('uob_mail_relay'),
    root_mail_recipient => hiera('admin_email'),
    inet_interfaces => 'localhost',
    }
    ...
    ...
    ...
    }


    After having changed the value in common.yaml, the Postfix config was
    not changed on any of my nodes. I stopped and restarted the puppetmaster
    and double-checked that the right manifests are being applied to my
    nodes. Running hiera on the command line returns the new value for
    'uob_mail_relay' so I have no idea why it hasn't picked up inside
    puppet. Nothing bad is shown in the logs on the master or the node. Can
    anyone make a suggestion?
    Strange. The problem must fall into one of these categories:

        - The master is not obtaining the updated value from hiera
        - The master is not including the hiera value in the compiled catalog
        - The agents are not running
        - The agents are applying stale catalogs that do not contain the change
        - Despite the catalogs specifying an updated relayhost, the agents are
        not applying the change
        - You are mistaken about the change not being applied
        - The change is being reverted, either by some other puppet resource or
        by an external actor.

    Supposing that we can discount the last alternative, I suggest driving at
    this first from the agent side:

        1. Run the agent from the command line with the --test and --debug
        options, and capture the output for analysis.
        2. Verify that the agent reports successfully obtaining a catalog from
        the master. If so,
        3. find in the output the report of the specific File resources you
        expect to be modified -- confirm that the reports are in fact there, and
        that they are reported either already in sync or successfully
        synchronized. Do similarly for any Service or other resources that you
        would expect to need to be touched. If all that looks good then
        4. check the output for any other resource that might be touching the
        same files. Also,
        5. check whether the files are in fact as expected. If not, then
        6. look at the catalog. Find the relevant resource(s) in it and check
        whether their properties are as expected.

    Having done that, you should have a pretty good handle on the nature of the
    problem -- whether it is bad (or no) agent behavior or bad catalogs, and if
    the latter, the nature of the catalog fault. If you still need help at
    that point then come back with your findings.


    John

    --
    You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Puppet Users" group.
    To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to puppet-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
    To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/puppet-users/17421528-7733-443b-add9-cc54e3c01f40%40googlegroups.com.
    For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

Related Discussions

Discussion Navigation
viewthread | post
Discussion Overview
grouppuppet-users @
categoriespuppet
postedFeb 19, '14 at 10:52a
activeFeb 19, '14 at 2:34p
posts2
users2
websitepuppetlabs.com

2 users in discussion

Jcbollinger: 1 post Jonathan Gazeley: 1 post

People

Translate

site design / logo © 2022 Grokbase